Zuckerberg's "Twitter killer" Threads wins 10m users within hours of launch. Musk whines about the "false happiness of hide-the-pain Instagram"

Originally published at: Zuckerberg's "Twitter killer" Threads wins 10m users within hours of launch. Musk whines about the "false happiness of hide-the-pain Instagram" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

“infinitely preferable to be attacked by strangers on Twitter, than indulge in the false happiness of hide-the-pain Instagram.”

So, being attacked by strangers is a feature, Elon?

26 Likes

I’m sure they’ll settle their differences like gentlemen, in the MMA cagematch

19 Likes

Letthemfight.gif

13 Likes

I’ve always believed that “hiding the pain” was the actual definition of good software design.

26 Likes

That quote… wow. He’s not really channelling David Ogilvy there.

If I didn’t know the speaker, I’d assume it was someone who couldn’t sell a glass of water to someone who was on fire.

11 Likes

So how is Threads notably distinct from Facebook? less photos of pets and food, more biting social (yet “well” moderated) commentary?

1 Like

Zuckerberg’s “Twitter killer”

Musk is doing a good job all by himself on that count. Thankyouverymuch

14 Likes

Does anyone know if Threads supports text formatting like:

• bold
  • italic
  • lists
  • tables?

My mind-boggling discovery of the morning is that stock Mastodon doesn’t, and it isn’t very good handling posts from the rest of the fediverse, which does.

This seems to be a major problem, that the Mastodon developers are so welded to the idea of Twiitter-That-Was, that they’re putting arbitrary limits on ActivityPub capabilities, and since they’re the elephant in the room, everyone else just has to grit their teeth.

So it’ll be nice if Threads forced them, kicking and screaming, to conform. (After that, Threads can die.)

9 Likes

I was never particularly keen on Twitter to begin with, and Mastodon seemed more opaque as far as content discovery so i’ve pretty much been ignoring it. Now with Threads on the horizon i am not enthusiastic because Meta sucks, but at least i’m glad that there’s a seemingly viable alternative for the folks that do like places like Twitter. Though as you said, competition is good so hopefully this will put a fire under Mastodon’s ass.

6 Likes

10 m? Threads just signed up people from Instagram. They’re just shoehorning their insta members into a federated instance.

7 Likes

There’s plenty of downsides to Threads. First, it seems you can’t just have a feed of who you follow which means some algorithms are serving you posts rather than it being organic (as in from your choices). Second, it seems to remove your Threads posts you have to delete your Instagram account which is the weirdest thing ever. I wonder how this will play out in the EU due to GDPR on point 2.

17 Likes

Meta have decided not to launch Threads in the EU, at least for the time being.

6 Likes

So, it’ll probably never be launched in EU or at least it’ll be a separate product there. LOL

3 Likes

We need some of that sweet GDPR over on this side of the pond.

18 Likes

They didn’t automatically sign up all Instagram users. If they did, there would be over 2 billion Threads users already. I have Instagram. I have not, and likely won’t, sign up for Threads just yet. First, it’s Facebook/Meta. Second, it wants to force me to use an app rather than use it on the web.

13 Likes

Meta have launched Threads in the UK, because our post-Brexit data protection rules are different enough.

7 Likes

Hey that’s fine by me

1 Like

On Friendica, it’s been more work than Twitter, but not what I’d call opaque. Now I’m wondering if this is due to some of those arbitrary Mastodon things.

4 Likes

Also, not for nothing: Threads profile can only be deleted by deleting Instagram account, Meta says | TechCrunch

9 Likes