Zuckerberg's "Twitter killer" Threads wins 10m users within hours of launch. Musk whines about the "false happiness of hide-the-pain Instagram"

Yeah this is one of Gargron’s several annoying WONTFIX choices. Refusing to make the post length limit configurable in any way besides setting an environment variable in the config files is another one - if you’re using a Mastodon-As-A-Service place like masto.host, this means it’s completely uneditable. There’s a major bugfix update on the way today and I am taking this opportunity to finally move to a fork that adds Markdown and local-only posts and a few other chronic WONTFIXes.

There is a lot of discussion as to whether the Fediverse should let Threads in, some admins say no, some admins also say no, and go on to say that we should also defederate from any other instances that do federate with Threads, on the general principle that Facebook is a catastrophically bad actor who has a lengthy history of strip-mining the social graph for profit. The only people I see popping up on the #mastoadmin tag who say “yes we should embrace Threads” are inevitably using icons that are photos of white dudes, and tend to have joined this year, as opposed to the cartoon characters and abstract color fields who have been running most of the Fediverse for multiple years.

18 Likes

I’m going to wait a few more days until most of the gremlins are found before i’d even consider joining up

6 Likes

It’s Meta. Aka Facebook. For that reason alone I wouldn’t touch this product with my least important personal information. I’ll follow the lead of the EU on this one.

15 Likes

I’ll probably block Threads, but I don’t think I’d miss the net HOA either.

3 Likes

https://www.axios.com/2023/07/06/metas-copycat-machine-threads

Meta has a deep history of launching apps and features mimicking its rivals’ offerings, only to shut them down after a few months.

Steal your data. Sell your data. Profit. Move on.

20 Likes

Zuckerberg wins 10m users within hours of launch just by keeping his mouth shut.

7 Likes

First thing I saw when I opened up Mastodon this morning:

18 Likes

Threads will include screenshots from instagram and f_c_book.

5 Likes

Thank you! (of course that just adds to my confusion about how they’re distinct. ah well)

4 Likes

Apparently cancelling your Threads account also nukes your Instagram account.

Guess what I predict will happen if someone wants to move their account to somewhere else in the Fediverse.

7 Likes

Moving the account (and followers) off of Zuck’s ActivityPub-enabled platform to Mastodon or another ActivityPub-enabled platform isn’t going to happen. Threads is just another Facebook roach motel.

My sense is that most Mastodon admins/mods will wait to defederate until it (inevitably, IMO) becomes evident that Threads will tolerate the kind of comments and users banned by their instances. Whether Mastodon instances that continue to federate with with Threads despite that its (likely) lack of moderation and Nazi-friendliness should also be banned will likely shake out differently and get assessed on a case-by-case basis.

8 Likes

‘Musk whines about the “false happiness of hide-the-pain Instagram”’

Whereas, with Twitter, the pain is right there. Constantly. Even if you don’t use it.

13 Likes

It launched in the UK, which suggests Meta is betting the post-Brexit review of the GDPR compliant Data Protection Act 2018 will ran towards the American ‘anything goes’ model of personal data protection and allow them to keep strip-mining peoples’ souls for profit.

4 Likes

Right at the top of the Techbro Rules of Acquisition:

1. Once you get their data, never give it back.

Meta, Twiiter, Reddit, all of them, act like Smaug on his hoard, even with user-contributed content. That’s not going to play well with a distributed federation.

12 Likes

Rapidly starting to suspect it won’t be long before I have no social media presence at all. I figure it won’t be long before Twitter either shuts down or kicks me out for antagonizing Nazis. Facebook seems to want me gone, too. (I try to avoid using the words “kill” or “beat” because Facebook yells at me every time, regardless of context.) Mastodon is needlessly complicated, Spoutible is run by techbro creeps, Bluesky is too closely associated by Nazi-friendly Jack Dorsey, and Threads is going to be a privacy shitshow (and probably every other kind of shitshow).

I like Instagram, because I like taking photos. I like Tumblr, because I like corny stuff. This feels like too little contact with the rest of the online world, honestly.

11 Likes

You do you, but one of the reasons so many Nazis go there is because they love getting in online fights with progressives.

From a profitability point of view a user who shows up to blow raspberries at fascists is at least as valuable to Twitter as a user who shows up to support fascists.

10 Likes

Didn’t launch in the EU due to privacy issues.

4 Likes

I generally mute and block everyone from Trumpers to Nazis to Gamergaters to Zach Snyder superfans, but I also quote-tweet posts about the various Nazi-types, often with anti-Nazi slogans. And sometimes, some random Mom for Liberty will report me for WrongThink.

1 Like

I wonder what’s up with that. Most social networks will at least claim to follow European regulations with a straight face. Are they planning anything worse than usual or do they hope for a massive outcry because we miss out on the Twitter replacement of the week?

2 Likes

I suspect it’s more logistical than anything. They don’t have their ducks in a row yet on the UI for Europe and wanted to launch ASAP to take advantage of Twitter chaos.

GDPR is a nice idea and I know the Europeans are very excited about it, but I worked in mobile game development when it was implemented and it didn’t really change anything. Free mobile games are real bad spyware (don’t install them) but all we had to do was put a little banner at the bottom of the screen at launch saying we’re collecting your data and if you don’t consent, quit the game. It was nothing to be “GDPR compliant”. Sorry Europeans, but it really isn’t doing that much to fix the problem.

6 Likes