Scared Musk sends legal threat to Meta after Threads lures 30 million on launch day

Originally published at: Scared Musk sends legal threat to Meta after Threads lures 30 million on launch day | Boing Boing

10 Likes

I love to see it. Maybe you do too.

18 Likes

It’s almost like there’s a downside to being a toxic trolley.

20 Likes

“Whoever wins, we lose.”

20 Likes

I want Elon to lose, but I also don’t want Zuc to win. Shame there’s no third option…but I guess I’ll take Mark Facebook as the current lesser of two evils.

29 Likes

Trade secrets stop being secrets once they’re revealed to outsiders. I don’t imagine that Meta has much culpability if it hired people who knew Twitter’s trade secrets but were fired by Musk, unless Meta coerced them to reveal said secrets. I’m interested to read an IP lawyer’s take on this.

20 Likes

“It is infinitely preferable to be attacked by strangers on Twitter than to indulge in the false happiness of hide-the-pain Instagram.”

• Desperation and/or fatigue has caused him to accidently misfire here
  • His tweet was carefully considered and he believes it down to his very soul
  • He is actually quite stupid when he is faced with a real fight

0 voters

13 Likes

recap bachelorette GIF

13 Likes

Yeah, IIRC from my (blessedly short) stint as a patent examiner, trade secrets aren’t legally protected just by virtue of being held close to the chest - it’s on the entities keeping the secrets to keep them secret. If you want legal protection, you gotta file for a patent - but then they’re not secrets.

Of course, I may be oversimplifying things in my head. I’m trying to forget that job, after all.

20 Likes

I want absolutely nothing to do with Threads, which seems like it’s mostly designed to steal my information and sell it to the Russians. But I also want Musk so panicked that he throws himself out a high window to escape Zucktron’s wrath.

22 Likes

Andy Stone from Meta’s communications tentacle has threaded(?): “No one on the Threads engineering team is a former Twitter employee — that’s just not a thing.”

https://www.threads.net/t/CuXeGudAEXr/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ%3D%3D

25 Likes

The Office Pam GIF by MOODMAN

19 Likes

Musk is too chicken to challenge John Mastodon to a cage match.

16 Likes

All the burning ironies here. Elno, breaking contracts left and right, is also upset by the mere idea (even if wrong) that his former employees maybe did exactly what he told them to do.

And weirdly, this isn’t really it, yet. It’s just Elno being a hypocritical toxic tr0ll. This isn’t a direct result of how he treated his employees - that Meta are well positioned to take advantage of Elno destroying Twitter (mostly by being a total idiot) is another issue…

8 Likes

Oh look, you can look at Threads from a web browser without logging in! That would be a cool functionality for Twitter to copy!

23 Likes

… it sounds like he’s trying to vaguely allude to the general idea of a noncompete clause — without actually saying the word, much less citing any such thing that even exists :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

I’d genuinely like to know how to do that, as I haven’t figured it out yet.

Not for me, but for the journos at work. We use a service called IN2IT Social that allows users to ingest video from social media sites directly into our production asset management system, and Musk’s tantrum broke that functionality for Twatter.
I want to see if IN2IT Social already works with Threads, or if we’ll need to wait for an update. But to do that, I need to be able to access it in a browser.

I’m not holding out much hope, as it’s never worked with Instagram.

4 Likes

When did don’t act like a dick become a trade secret?

8 Likes

I think we can safely say that is not a secret at any Elon Musk involved company.

5 Likes

The EDA industry (circuit design CAD) relies on trade secrets and not patents for the algorithms they use. The thinking is that these algorithms will continually be improved and will be useless by the time competitors can reverse engineer them. Twitter has been around for 17 years.

13 Likes