Three Rocks: Bill Griffith's incredible exploration of Ernie Bushmiller's comic strip "Nancy"

Originally published at: Three Rocks: Bill Griffith's incredible exploration of Ernie Bushmiller's comic strip "Nancy" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

As a lifelong fan of both strips, I’ve really been looking forward to this book! Also Nancy is as twisted, surreal and demented as Zippy. This becomes obvious from reading any of the collections that were printed in the nineties.

9 Likes

This was all true until Bushmiller died in 1982. Once the comic was turned over to other artists, it started being actually funny, and dare I say, edgy, at times. So there has been 40 years of a completely different Nancy.

2 Likes

As if “How To Read Nancy” wasn’t enough! Also fun fact that one of those authors created Garbage Pail Kids.

2 Likes

I can’t read the later Nancy strips drawn after Bushmiller died. The hair isn’t right, for starters. And it’s not Nancy.

IMG_0955

http://jimwoodring.blogspot.com/2006/07/greatest-nancy-panel-ever-drawn.html

5 Likes

7 Likes

And then there’s “Love’s Savage Fury”, a four-page acid trip of Nancy on the train by Mark Newgarden, featured on his website.

1 Like

Another book by Patrick McDonnell is Heart to Heart: A Conversation on Love and Hope for Our Precious Planet by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Patrick McDonnell (NY: HarperCollins Publishers, 2023 ISBN 978-0-06-321698-3), a lovely little book with McDonnell illustrating an environmental talk by the Dalai Lama.

Comics can do anything.

1 Like

How to Read Nancy was so good! I have to admit that I had never read a classic Nancy strip before reading that book. Now I’m a fan. Need to look for some of the old collections now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.