Three teens get corporal punishment for participating in national school walkout

Beat me to it; I was gonna say:

In name, only.

15 Likes

Apparently it is. :persevere:

2 Likes

Exactly what decade or century is the school administration living in?

3 Likes

Now those administrators can get back to spanking the monkey.

1 Like

Hey, we got plenty of cities.

Brilliant use of the “swatting” tag.

4 Likes

Though at the same time i have to wonder…when were the parents informed about this?

If the school let my parents know beforehand, my mom would probably do something like threaten to sue if they lay a finger on me before she shows up to take me home.

If they did this to me and then told her after…whoever’s telling her would be about to become the first victim of murder through telephone call.

10 Likes

The Arkansas Epoch

6 Likes

Came to say this. Clear attempt to suppress political speech.

12 Likes

Nice to see Arkansas doing its best to keep up with Alabama and Mississippi in the “Race to the Bottom of America’s Educational Systems”.

4 Likes

In New Mexico, a sixth grader was the only person to walk out of her school:

“[The teacher]'s like,‘Oh you can’t do that here. We did the 17 seconds of silence and that’s all you got,’ And I said, ‘I don’t think so.’”

She got an in-school suspension and the insight that at least one of her teachers is an idiot.

34 Likes

So… if the student is displeased with this and breaks a few of the the teacher’s (I use the term loosely) limbs is this… self-defense? Because it sure sounds like self defense.

(Actually, I just checked, there’s no minimum age to possess a rifle in Arkansas, so…)

2 Likes

To misquote William Gibson, the present is here — it’s just not very evenly distributed.

It seems like this is their standard punishment for unexcused absences, unlike other schools that made up extra punishments. I’m not sure if that’s better or worse.

11 Likes

Ya’ll need to stop the Arkansas bashing. I’m don’t live there but I’m from there and my family lives there. Well, in the interest of full disclosure, they live in Fayetteville now because they don’t want to live in the real Arkansas either.

As reported by U.S. News & World Report in its inaugural “Best Places to Live” rankings.

1. Austin, TX
2. Denver, CO
3. San Jose, CA
4. Washington, DC
5. Fayetteville, AR
6. Seattle, WA
7. Raleigh & Durham, NC
8. Boston, MA
9. Des Moines, IA
10. Salt Lake City, UT

The Fayetteville School District administration supported the walkout at their schools and hundred of students participated.

9 Likes

They chose “the wrench”

6 Likes

Ok but he still carried it out. If he truly thought it’s absurd, why would he have gone through with it? Don’t school administrators have discretion on meting out punishment?

4 Likes

I went to a Jr High that paddled its students. This is far more common than anyone likes to talk about.

4 Likes

Arkansas? I stopped right there.

1 Like

Those three a superheroes. I’m not sure I would have had the courage at that age to do that.

5 Likes

Jerusalem Greer, a mother of one of the students, wrote on Twitter on Wednesday afternoon that the students would be punished with “swats” by their school in central Arkansas.

Greer wrote that the kids, who were each 17 years old, were given two options: in-school suspension — or “swats.”

“My kid and two other students walked out of their rural, very conservative, public school for 17 minutes today,” Greer tweeted. “They were given two punishment options. They chose corporal punishment. This generation is not playing around. #walkout.”

When asked by another Twitter user for more specifics about the punishment, Greer replied: “Two times on the bum with wooden paddle.”

Greer added that she could have forbade the Greenbrier School District from using corporal punishment, but said her son chose the swats “and we supported him. He wanted to take a stand.”

“Proud of my kid for his willingness to endure,” Greer wrote in one response.

Arkansas mom says kids got 'swats' for walkout to protest gun violence

Still not sure why they didnt choose in-school suspension, probably because it was for an unacceptably long time (1-2 weeks?), to make the corporal option more “attractive.”

I agree that was the effect. But I’m not sure they’d know the corporal punishment they’d receive would get publicity. It’s legal in 19 states and is it really that exotic a practice in those states? If they did consent to the punishment knowing exactly what a force multiplier it would be to their cause, they are playing the N-dimension chess that is usually only attributed to Spock and orange-hued heads of state, but for reals.

1 Like