Thrift score: Vintage string art made by the guy who kicked off the fad

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/28/thrift-score-vintage-string-a.html

9 Likes

What a great find! It is meditative to look at, just imagine how meditative it was to make it!

12 Likes

I can’t imagine doing it without a constant stream of profanity…

12 Likes

Haha, so maybe not so meditative for you. I think it would end up putting me into a kind of trance, after all the nails were in place. Slowly running the threads, watching the picture emerge…

7 Likes

As a child of the 1970s who actually had one or two of these kits, I’d say it was somewhat more meditative, and less expletive-inducing than, say, a snap-tite model car kit, but not a lot.

9 Likes

Reminds me a bit of Logo programming and TurtleArt.

13 Likes

That mandala is completely mesmerizing. The colorplay is amazing.

11 Likes

Back in the seventies, we kids would make wire string art similar to this one at Etsy.

Thanks for the memory, and great find, Rusty!

9 Likes

wow great score!

6 Likes

Yes! Or Spirograph.

8 Likes

I had one of those kits…the one of the male lion’s head.

4 Likes

I first learned about these in a mathematics summer day camp way back in elementary school – though we did them with pencil and paper. Never did get around to trying to make a proper one.

3 Likes

Nice find, Rusty! Seems like this piece found you

6 Likes

Some very clever engineer built his own CNC machine to not only wind string art, but to digitize pictures with it: https://hackaday.com/2019/02/23/polar-platform-spins-out-intricate-string-art-portraits/

7 Likes

I had the sailboat kit in the late 70’s/early 80’s. I was so proud of that thing at the time.

2 Likes

@Rusty_Blazenhoff what is the material of the background? red velvet?

1 Like

No, it’s a thick dark brown felt stretched over a heavy board

2 Likes

Here’s the other one I have:

6 Likes

Wow! some folks have really upped the game.

5 Likes

What a great find – that beautiful personal note makes this even more of a treasure. Antiques Roadshow fantasy fodder!

2 Likes