Thrift store paintings "enhanced" with Star Wars elements

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/17/thrift-store-paintings-enhan.html

4 Likes

The star wars ones are fun, but some of the others I’d be more likely to buy, if nothing else for the strong “alternate history Sierra Adventure Game” vibes they throw:

12 Likes

Came across Dave Pollot’s booth at a local art festival last year, and remembered reading about him on boingboing:

We picked up this giant canvas print from him:

along with a couple of Star Wars landscapes.

I wish we’d grabbed this one:

6 Likes

Is Star Wars the new “put a bird on it”?

2 Likes

Thomas Kinkade would have actually been a cool artist if he did this sort of thing from the start.

7 Likes

Makes me think of The Loop.

3 Likes

No need for the scare quotes. They’re undeniably made better by this artist.

3 Likes

Why is enhanced in quotes? Clearly the are enhanced!!

6 Likes

Going with Wayne White for my response here:

/PS: “Beauty is Embarassing” is a great doc BTW. It might make you a fan. Just saying.

4 Likes

This reminds me of “Tales from the Loop”

1 Like

This so flippin’ smacks of George Lucas’s sfx updates of earlier works.

1 Like

A couple of months ago a trendy antique store was selling old portraits updated with face masks.

2 Likes

What is the law on this? Could the Louvre (for example) commission someone to paint Tom Baker on the Mona Lisa, peering over her shoulder?

1 Like

YASSSS!!! :smiley: haha

1 Like

Except the opposite you mean, because they make the originals better, right? :wink:

2 Likes

Talking purely updates here. :slightly_smiling_face:

Watch what he did to THX1138. (BTW: Inane brow-wrinkling dialogue therein is typical Lucas… except for the ‘torture prod’ scene which was wickedly humorous and improvised by the two speakers remotely positioning Duvall’s character in painful ways.)

Oh, don’t get me started about his fucking w/ THX-1138. Oh darn, ya did. :wink:

I love the film, I actually consider it probably in my upper echelon of favorites. I don’t think most people really understand it, but that’s fine. It communicates some pretty specific messages, for the people they were intended for, IMHO. :slight_smile: My interpretation of it is quite esoteric and mystic. And no, the movie’s themes are not wholly original, obviously, but I also think the filmmaking and cinematography are great – and needed no touch-ups!!! :exploding_head:

1 Like

He actually “borrowed” the basic plot from a fellow USC film student.

It was a collaborative project is my understanding, and a couple of the other collaborators decided to drop out of the project. They weren’t involved with making the short film.

I’m not sure how well-read any of them were, but… there’s this little book called Brave New World, and I’d say anything THX-related, whether it’s the short, theatrical release, or update, borrows essentially ALL of its themes from that.

My own beliefs about art do not require it all to be wholly original to be good, and in fact, I have come to understand that while on a personal level work may be original, in the grand scheme of things, there is nothing new under the sun. If art is “creative interpretation of the human experience/consciousness,” re-interpretation of other media does not deviate from this, really. Plagiarism is one thing, but influence? Almost all art is influenced, heavily, by prior art, I think.

1 Like

Agreed. And improvements are not unheard of! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like