Thrift store paintings "enhanced" with Star Wars elements

Oh, well listen – my complaints about his updates are more to do with his going to EVERY EXTREME POSSIBLE while the properties were under his control to make it IMPOSSIBLE for people to have access to high-quality, legal versions of the original cuts. That? No bueno. Make a derivative to your heart’s content. But there was zero, zilch, absolutely no reason to attempt to literally erase the originals from cinema history.

I work with media and film archivists on a pretty serious level, and let me say – it’s a dick move, from that set of perspectives. Sure, it was his right. But a dick, nasty move as an artist-turned-way-too-rich old-white-guy, who feels he has to control every thing around him, and has the wealth and power to do so, even if he knows it’s upsetting many people who he should be going out of his way to probably make happy. WHEN THERE WAS NO REASON TO DO SO!

Story of our world, sadly, and it’s a bit unfortunate to me that this is the primary tone that I will be left with in this life of George Lucas, a man who has inspired me in many positive ways through his work since I was capable of watching science fiction and appreciating it (4-5 years old?) – but is ultimately, just another one of history’s assholes.

2 Likes

This is why ISO, ITU, JEDEC, NIST etc. standards are so expensive; the gallerist has them all arranged by demonstrated alignment and it makes them hard to find.

1 Like

This reminds me Jakub Rozalski’s artwork:

He did the art for one of my favourite boardgames, Scythe. https://stonemaiergames.com/games/scythe/gallery/

3 Likes

I’ve found thriftstore and yardsale landscape paintings ‘enhanced’ with cutouts of military vehicles. Call it naive folk art.

Kinkade was a technical master; his composition? Not so much.
My mom has a small reproduction of one of his works. It has unsettled me for years, because everything about it is wrong

A stone house sits next to a bay. Behind it are trees, and a dirt path leads to the cottage. On the other side of the bay are mountains, and waves can be seen crashing against the rocks that seem to be to the left of the scene. Perhaps there is a bit of a precipice beyond.
The soil is rocky… don’t see how the big trees behind the house can find a foothold. Besides, the salt spray is mere feet away. The house is oddly shaped. The layout does not appear to be designed for human habitation. The windows are glowing brightly from within. Since a Clipper Ship is plying the waters in the far background, one assumes that electricity is not the source for illumination.
The thatched roof appears to be smoldering from the obvious inferno that must be raging inside…

So yes, this painting would definitely benefit from having a Kraken waving that ship around in the air.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.