Throw out metal grill brushes, say doctors

I just use a metal spatula to clean off the crud. Good enough for government work!

3 Likes

Doesn’t using a wadded up ball of aluminum foil to scrape the surface solve this issue?

3 Likes

WTF is this nonsense? you go to the trouble to get a charcoal grill going for the nice dry searing heat, and then you fill the damn thing with water baths? Why not just use a propane grill at this point? It’s way less complicated, faster, and cheaper. You can toss wood chips in if you want the smoke.

3 Likes

that is for applying oil to the grates, it will not truly scrape clean the grates of any gunk still stuck on.

As for cleaning the grill, I barely bother. Get the cooktop nice and hot with a short preheat and then scrape off any loose debris with the metal spatula before dropping the food on there. Fire is the best disinfectant.

5 Likes

cc @Hipshot I have both a gas grill and a charcoal kettle grill. They are different and do not cook the same way. you can get some smoke flavor with gas using a wood packet, but not true smoke. Its also easier to control the heat and zones with a charcoal than it is with gas.

Fire is the best disinfectant.

No…that’s not how it works. At all. It isn’t disinfecting anything it is actually leaving behind residue that can be carcinogenic.

1 Like

You’re cooking with carcinogens in this case. If you’re really concerned about it, switch to an electric stovetop.

2 Likes

How about stainless isn’t usually magnetic.

How about just washing the grate after you scrub it?

2 Likes

I think the word you are looking for is oven. Unless you are using a grill as a smoker I have no understanding of this closed lid low heat cooking mode.

2 Likes

The website says “foamed glass”.

I had one that looked great shed a wire that then stuck to a piece of chicken. I saw it on my piece and pulled it off, but it could have turned out like the article. I’ve switched to Nylon because I can it on my stainless steel and porcelain grates.

2 Likes

And you never run into problems where the plastic brush is absolutely inadequate at removing some cooked on char?

This looks like something our PE coach used to tuck into his belt when he was trying to get the boys to listen to him in gym. (Yes, I went to public school in Texas)

3 Likes

I soak a paper towel, fold it over a few times and push that over a hot grill with the leading edge of a spatula. Plenty of steam.

I’m glad you don’t grill yourself ( I certainly wouldn’t grill myself either!), but you’ve got some weird friends, yo. That sounds really painful!

Ow, ow, ow, ow, owwwwww… as if the searing wasn’t enough. Oh the humanity!

7 Likes

This almost happened to me last year. I was “lucky” and the bristle jammed into my gum towards the back of my mouth. Had a hell of a time getting it out, but at least I didn’t swallow the thing.

4 Likes

It’s not (just) about bacteria (and molds, etc. that leave toxic residue even if you kill them), though - the rancid, burnt grease really isn’t going to do you any good, either.

1 Like

That is exactly what I do with my kettle. When cooking steaks/chops/burgers I first put them on the coals side for a fast sear, then move them to the indirect side to cook nicely without drying up.

1 Like

Oy vey. You think Christian versus atheist is contentious? You think liberal versus conservative can get nasty? Then you don’t even wanna think about charcoal versus gas.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Somehow the idea of getting a metal bristle out of someone safely sounds really interesting. Maybe I just want to see a tiny vice grip.

3 Likes