Throw out your onions

Originally published at: Throw out your onions | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Nahhhh, just treat them like meat, cook thoroughly, clean all surfaces well afterwards.

30 Likes

If you have a reliable local farmer’s market, now would be a good time to shop there.

33 Likes

I was just discussing this with the mum. we are blessed with a number of produce stands and farmer’s market here, or a short hop to another island. most (if not all) of that produce is grown in Homestead, on the mainland, in the rich soil that is lowlands along the eastern edge of the Everglades. just need to make sure the onions in the kitchen came from one of those sellers

16 Likes

Onion Johnnies

19 Likes

Presumably organically-grown onions are OK?

3 Likes

Yeah, we never use raw onions but cook/sauté/sweat them in a ton of recipes. Plus you can’t even use onions without peeling at least a couple layers. Is the salmonella impregnated in the flesh? Maybe the problem is cross contamination.

9 Likes

I’m crying for those onions, so miss-understood.

12 Likes

Just confirmed my vidalias are actually from Vidalia, GA, so I think I’m good. And about to make a cheesesteak.

14 Likes

If you need help eating it, well you know where to find me…

10 Likes

Exactly. Just heat them enough to kill the salmonella.

French onion soup is a good way to get rid of loads of onions in one go. Delicious. Even deliciouser the day after making it. Freezes fine and is still nice after thawing(though needs some extra re-seasoning in my experience, after thawing).

10 Likes

What if I just soaked them in ivermectin?

31 Likes

What the article fails to specify is, throw them at whom?

16 Likes

If you can’t tell where your food comes from, don’t buy or eat it.

FTFY.

4 Likes

It comes from the supermarket.

15 Likes

Not necessarily, no.

10 Likes

I’ll be doing a stew tomorrow, which involves throwing in onions and letting them dissolve into flavor over two hours of simmering.

8 Likes

Very true, especially in the “cut the corners” organic where they use green manure directly on the plants, and splashes for rain/watering spread salmonella up the plants… though I think this probably came from the bath where they clean the dirt off veg that grows underground.

9 Likes

It could also be from irrigation water drawn downstream from animal feed lots. :nauseated_face:

14 Likes

I was just thinking about what to make for lunch. FO soup it is.

2 Likes