Ticketmaster's plan for checking your COVID-19 status before entering concerts

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/11/ticketmasters-plan-for-checking-your-covid-19-status-before-entering-concerts.html

6 Likes

Ticketmaster can go fuck themselves sideways.

I wont be attending any concerts any time soon for the foreseeable future.

That said even once it’s safe again to frequent large venues, I sure as fuck won’t be dealing with those assholes.

31 Likes

Yup. This, 100%. They are not good people and I won’t give them my money.

18 Likes

Wait, they are having fucking concerts??!?!? JFC.

17 Likes

I say let them do it, but put every penny of profit in escrow until they’ve gone 6 months without a superspreader event. That way, when a single asymptomatic spreader infects hundreds after 2 months of this working flawlessly, there will be a working fund of money to cover medical expenses…

5 Likes

Right?

Those assholes can go choke…

15 Likes

Just don’t go to a concert. Don’t.

… seriously.

17 Likes

I’m sure those greedpigs will add on yet another “processing fee” for something that costs them nothing.

19 Likes

Stipulated that Ticketmaster is shit.

That said…
This isn’t a terrible idea. In the medium-term the quickest route to decreasing COVID prevalence is widespread testing and tracing. It’s utterly practical and doesn’t rely on a vaccine. This scheme is more logistically sound than anything the US government (or any state government) has proposed so far. And private entities enforcing testing gets around many civil liberties objections (which are going to be a major obstacle in the US).

7 Likes

What could go wrong?

17 Likes

I’ve got to hand it to them.

I did not believe they could do anything to make going to their shows less attractive to me. But they did!

Who says America can’t innovate anymore?

7 Likes

Greed-fueled optimism at its finest.

2 Likes

Seems like they finally figured out an excuse to kill the secondary market.

4 Likes

Ticketmaster aren’t the company with the best reputation in the world, but in 6 months time, why is this a bad idea? We need to find some way to make large concerts and similar safe - what other options are there?

4 Likes

Given how much money they make scalping their own tickets, I’m pretty sure this is significantly less than it sounds like.

Not that they won’t try to kill your ability to resell them, of course. But I can’t imagine this is the end of scalping - that’s a huge chunk of TM’s revenue stream.

3 Likes

By secondary market, you mean scalperbot networks that would buy out a concert in seconds? I’m sure that the companies/execs got a bit fat kick-back from that.

They got pet politicians to pass laws shifting the responsibility from the companies to law enforcement, which did dick because the bot-nets operate outside the countries. I’m sure the bot-net people are clever, but if the ticket companies also hired some clever people, they could have cut it down drastically.

5 Likes

Airlines (as evil as Ticketmaster) will be doing the same soon enough.

3 Likes

How about not have large concerts until a vaccine has widespread distribution – we don’t “need” to have them. Testing isn’t a bad idea in and of itself, but the “free”-market worshippers still don’t seem to understand that this is not a choice between the economy and public health. Try to save the economy by allowing the virus room to spread and we only ensure that there will be further and more serious economy-destroying lockdowns.

8 Likes

For the life of me I will never understand how Ticketmaster managed to keep their monopoly on ticket sales after the rise of the internet made it possible for bands and venues to sell tickets to attendees directly.

13 Likes

There’s no guarantee that there will ever be an effective vaccine. Multiple routes to preventing virus spread must be pursued.

2 Likes