Tik Tok bans Perez Hilton after influencers demand it

Don’t know much about the guy, don’t like the platform, but this has a ‘trolley problem’ feel to it

5 Likes

Which is crazy… Once you go down the rabbit hole and get to POC/queer/occult Tiktok it’s a pretty fun place. I’m learning more about child psychology, crafting, linguistics and social justice just by scrolling.

Just stay off of straight, white, teen Tiktok and you’ll be fine.

6 Likes

It’s an interesting dynamic. It looks like TikTok is completely fine with PoC, LGBTQ people, geeks and nerds and weirdos as long as they’re also not over age 40 or disabled or fat.

Also, this aspect of TikTok I read about the other day makes it look like a greenfield for grifters and scammers:

6 Likes

“No matter what happens, I’m still Perez Hilton,” he said over the phone on Sunday. “I’m bigger than any one app or any one thing. People will still seek me out and employ me and have me do things. I’m excited for the future.”

3 Likes

Joke is on you kiddos, you’re just market research fuel to be bought and sold by TikTok as a commodity. You’re a product, and you’re arguing what other products are permitted to sit on the same shelf as you.

8 Likes

Where the solution is just to order a second trolley to pick up what the first trolley misses?

5 Likes

“People will still seek me out and employ me and have me do things.”

… on Fiverr.com

2 Likes

______'s culture of conformist narcissism is awful and basically evil, but the idea that ______ is some kind of public square that has to respect free speech is worse. It would be nice if ______ had reasonable policies, fairly enforced, but it will never have those things because it’s ______. It is the Attention Hunger Games and the policy team are the Games Masters, optimizing away things that disrupt ______'s ecology of supply.

Isn’t this true of any social media? Maybe even BBS?

2 Likes

This BBS isn’t really a conformist place (certainly not in terms of conventional “youth and beauty” conformity we’re talking about with TikTok). Users who want to make it all about themselves don’t last long here. The moderators don’t claim to be free-speech absolutists and the BBS does have reasonable policies that are fairly enforced. The moderators here also aren’t particularly concerned with popularity.

7 Likes

Ya, clean up trolley, that’s it :slight_smile: No, just the vague feeling that there is a moral or ethical dimension to this stuff but you can’t get exited about it. Sure, Tik Tok, FB, Twitter, and all the rest are independent firms able to set their own practices but they all require the commons of the internet to function. Perez Hilton today, tomorrow ?

1 Like

Perez is evolving into Tom Waits.

3 Likes

Except that tiktok uses every trick available to harvest every scrap of data they can pull from your device. The app is bad, and the website is nearly as bad. I know, I know “I’ve got nothing to hide etc…” Still, the tricks they use border on the criminal. Any company who does that is not to be trusted imho.

3 Likes

20 Likes

Of the users, @orenwolf, of the users! Not your popularity. You’re first in our hearts, the people’s choice. Don’t cry!

12 Likes

first they came for the guy that draws dicks on peoples faces and I said nothing …

4 Likes

Speak for only yourself grac.

Personally, I adore @orenwolf, but @Falcor will always be my fav mod here.

I miss her witty announcements of her intent to eat the inevitable trolls…

8 Likes

Teenagers really hate being told what to wear. A 40-something TikTok user should have been prepared for this kind of reaction.

1 Like

I love @orenwolf simply because his avatar looks like Otho from Beetlejuice.

(I’m a very simple man)

1 Like

He’s lost a lot of weight since his initial days in the limelight. You really did call it though.

1 Like

It’s probably in the actual article that’s linked, but it would be nice if BoingBoing at least had some passing mention of who this guy is and what he’s done. Right now it’s “Tik Tok bans some guy who other people agree should be banned.” Good… I guess?

2 Likes