Tilt-shifted, low-FPS Elden Ring looks like a charmingly weird kids' show

Originally published at: Tilt-shifted, low-FPS Elden Ring looks like a charmingly weird kids' show | Boing Boing

6 Likes

George Rr Martin Technology GIF

Freezing Game Of Thrones GIF

5 Likes

Ooh, definitely getting the vibe of a cross between a Rankin-Bass stop-motion holiday special and those I Spy children’s books published by Scholastic.

2 Likes

There’s a whole playlist, including HL2!

3 Likes

Shouln’t that be Wordstar?

6 Likes

Yeah, I noticed that too…

2 Likes

So the question immediately springs to mind…how long until we get tilt-shift mode natively built into games, because this looks amazing. Like what Sierra adventure games looked like in my head as I was falling asleep wondering where I was going to get a magnet in Gold Rush…

3 Likes

The Switch remake of Link’s Awakening uses a tilt-shift effect that is fairly obvious in the overworld map.

Many city builders also have something like tilt-shift as an option, but it often varies from just a depth of field effect to something that really does look like a real tilt-shift photograph.

4 Likes

More so than an animated show, what these remind me most of are the CRPG predecessors to this game - your Fallouts and Planescapes and so on. The isometric angle matches, and th low frame rate makes the models look like pre-rendered sprites.

2 Likes

@beschizza

I think this visual aesthetic is actually an amazing shift out of the uncanny valley of game visually as it eschews a photo realism, that never quite gets there, for creating a cohesive world.

The judicious use of stop motion animation mixed with real time animation as well as tilt shift and camera blur covers so many issues with stock character animation techniques.

This has a more cinematic quality than any lens flare, particle fx driven realism that I’ve seen before.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.