Time lapse video: this guy cleaning up his extremely messy house is just so gratifying

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/19/watching-this-guy-clean-up-his.html

3 Likes

I find the lack of separating recyclables disturbing.

11 Likes

ok, but damn buddy! how’d you let it get like that in the first place?

8 Likes

That’s just reverse footage of him making a mess. I can tell from the pixels.

16 Likes

God, if that is “extremely messy”, than how would someone describe my place? Years of depression can really help destroy a place.

15 Likes

For me, it is depression that helps keep my place in such bad shape.

12 Likes

I moved to my new apt about 2-3 weeks ago and haven’t fully unpacked or sorted what needs to be thrown out or donated. Place isn’t a mess but its not organized either, hoping to set up my bookshelves today as well as pick what books and items from them i can filter out. Then i gotta move to my bedroom and go through my clothes to get the stuff i never wear, which is a lot.

I really hope i can get to it this week, been dealing with a ton of anxiety lately so its been hard getting the motivation. But me and my roommate have had small victories, we’ve been managing a roach infestation and nearly have it wiped out… we’ve been holding off on organizing the kitchen and putting things away because of it. We also repotted some plants over the weekend and cleaned the laminate floor in the kitchen.

10 Likes

fair point

2 Likes

Same, i don’t deal with intense depression or anxiety. It’s much more in the background but its enough to sap my willingness to be productive, and while my personal and emotional situation is improved compared to 5-10 years ago i still have a hard time managing my space.

7 Likes

always better with music

1 Like

Nothing like being quarantined for a couple of weeks in a mess to inspire one to finally clean it up. I hope making the video helps him maintain things (10-15 minutes a day is all it will take).

3 Likes

What’s the white thing that’s installed on his tap in the kitchen?

That is not even close to ‘extremely.’

3 Likes

I’ve looked into those before, its a water filter that’s installed at the tap. They’re pretty neat but the space they take up over the sink seems like it would annoy me when hand washing things so i’ve never gotten around to buying one.

2020-05-19_13-31-36

2 Likes

Was that a drill with attachment he used to clean his baking trays?

4 Likes

Yes - it looked like a buffing attachment? Genius - I fear that my non-stick baking trays are beyond rescue, but will store that for future reference.

4 Likes

Yeah. Depression, anxiety, ADHD, chronic fatigue… there are many reasons why people let things slide into this kind of a mess, and almost always it’s because they lack the spoons to do anything about it. And the longer it goes on, the harder it is to even start doing anything about it, because the task seems so huge and unbeatable.

8 Likes

I would like to learn his story as to what prompted him to go on a cleaning rampage.

1 Like

I would like to know how much time it actually took him to clean up.

Did you notice he sharpened his knives? That’s beyond “cleaning up”, if you ask me! Good job!

2 Likes

He posted on Reddit saying his house got messy during a bout of depression.

10 Likes