Time to rethink those 'Delete my Browser History" medic alert bracelets?

resuscitaten’t

4 Likes

I guess the problems would be as follows:

1. having a fake medic alert bracelet forces somebody working a stressful job to stop and admire your prepackaged wit. Probably the third or fourth time you read the same stupid joke you start getting pissed.

2. if there got to be a real large number of fake medic alert bracelets you might get stressed out pissed of people ignoring the real ones, especially if it was a situation like the one described with 4 fakes and 1 real.

1 Like

I suspect that it would be a pretty serious endeavor(or involve QR codes or something); but that case made me wonder if the regulations around DNR orders specify that they have to be on paper.

They definitely specify that certain forms(literally and figuratively) must be obeyed to produce a valid one; and a single sentence isn’t sufficient; but I’m left less clear on whether an entire correctly produced DNR tattooed on would be considered a matter of doubt.

That writeup also(rather obliquely and politely) hinted at what appears to be a strong strain of legal realist thought among the hospital’s ethics consultants.

This is not to say that I disagree with them(I don’t, also they were vindicated shortly thereafter by the official form being located); but I suspect that

After reviewing the patient’s case, the ethics consultants advised us to honor the patient’s do not resuscitate (DNR) tattoo. They suggested that it was most reasonable to infer that the tattoo expressed an authentic preference, that what might be seen as caution could also be seen as standing on ceremony, and that the law is sometimes not nimble enough to support patient-centered care and respect for patients’ best interests.

might not be the verdict if a patient rather more promising than a 70 year old man with a history of COPD and diabetes showed up with a potentially ambiguous DNR on him.

2 Likes

Resuscitate to the max

Why? I’ve been ready to go since I was a teen.

That’s a sign of spiritual maturity or a very shitty life. Either way, you’ll go soon enough.

1 Like

We all will. I am an atheist and I’ve had problems with depression for, like, always. But I can’t say I’ve had a shitty life and I definitely would not say that I have ‘spiritual maturity’.

Most people are never ready to go. It’s especially unusual for a young person so you’re either very wise or very apathetic. I’ve seen death and came very close once myself and I’m definitely not ready. With you I get the feeling it’s depression talking. I wish you a boost in desire to live.

2 Likes

When you’re in need of emergency medical care I don’t see the point of trying to make a weak joke. The only one you’re possibly hurting is yourself isn’t it? Not that a few seconds are likely to make a difference, but I like living.

1 Like

The thing is, I’m guessing about 90% of the information on VALID medic alert bracelets is going to be irrelevant to a first responder’s immediate needs. I can certainly understand some professionals finding these to be in poor taste, but calling them a threat seems disingenuous.

1 Like

Are ‘zombie walks’ still okay? They seem to have died out (lol) a bit, but if there’s an accident at one of them it can cause lots of confusion for medical staff.

As an ER doc, this discussion is silly. Unless you are illiterate, everyone is going to realize this is a joke.

related: https://goo.gl/images/4YUiDg

I don’t slit someone’s neck who has a “-----cut here ----” tattoo on their neck.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.