Originally published at: Two paramedics debunk first aid myths | Boing Boing

8 Likes

“What did the doctor say?”
“Doctor say you gonna die…”

34 Likes

“What if I’m bitten in a…uh…more intimate spot?”

“That’s when you find out who your real friends are.”

15 Likes

Alcohol’s good for any injury. If applied properly.

25 Likes

Glad they clarified between the American Red Cross’ choking prevention method (includes back blows) and the American Heart Association’s (no back blows, straight to Heimlich maneuver). Took a CPR class a few years ago and they did teach back blows, I guess they may have been following Red Cross.

That said, it’s also illuminating to see what folks in the field actually go for, good to know.

7 Likes

What I have been taught is that back-blows may be just wasting time. You have one trick that might help and another that will help while somebody is actually choking to death. Go for the one that is mostly likely to help.

9 Likes

Damn, typical Friday night for me.

17 Likes

worth watching, just to avoid the potential of making things worse for the victim and the EMTs.

4 Likes

I gotta say, this is fun, this is useful, but it’s much more fun than useful.
They are, I guess, trying to be entertaining, rather than have maximum impact as a teaching video.
And in the process, they are committing some major teaching fouls.

That is, if they wanted their video to have maximum effectiveness, their “myths” (whether an “Always do this” or “Never do this”) should be a TRUE statement.

Because when we hear the “myth” statement, we’re going to remember the “myth” statement itself-- and NOT whether it’s true or false! So, make sure the statement itself is true! They made this mistake over and over.

In the Video, they reinforced these false myths:
“After being stabbed, take out the sharp object”
“Put butter on a burn to heal it”
“You have to be medically trained to use a defibrillator”

They should have instead reinforced “true myths”, ie the lesson to be imparted:
“Never take out the sharp object from a stab wound”
“Never put butter on a burn to heal it”
“You do not have to be medically trained to use a defibrillator”

(Apologies for the soapbox.)

18 Likes

Chew their food for them! /s

5 Likes

Well I mean it’s a YouTube video right? If the goal was to be helpful it would be a text file of the 12 things instead of clickbait.

3 Likes

What if I’m stabbed with a concussed venomous snake that is choking on an illegal drug?

7 Likes

My Mother choked on a boiled sweet in the 1920’s. My grandmother could not dislodge it. Mrs’ Beetons cookbook (or was it Practical Housekeeping?) had a first aid section, which suggested “in an emergency, slit the gullet with a pen-knife”.

They didn’t, of course. The sweet came up with coughing eventually.

3 Likes

Then the petting zoo isn’t for you.

19 Likes

Haven’t a lot of these myths been debunked long ago? I feel as if I’ve been hearing “don’t put butter on a burn” all my life, and “don’t try sucking out venom” almost as long.

That said, I still have one of these long-debunked and discontinued Cutter snakebite kits lying around from my backpacking days.

I understand these are still in demand in certain circles for the stimulating rubber suction cups. Maybe I can get big bucks on eBay.

The following is NSFW. Oh so very NSFW:

7 Likes

And they have nothing to say on jellyfish stings?

10 Likes

The right kind of friend may do that even if you’re not bitten by a snake.

I’d recommend just asking really nicely.

1 Like

Perhaps the threat was enough?

1 Like

i wanted to see something about digging bullets out of gunshot wounds - that is such a weird movie trope to me, even if a rare situation in real life ( well, rare outside the us i guess )

3 Likes

Well done, Mrs B, knowing about emergency tracheotomy.

1 Like