Two paramedics debunk first aid myths

i wanted to see something about digging bullets out of gunshot wounds

Of course, the patient must bite a bullet or at least a wad of rawhide.

3 Likes

Caps for rotten teeth!

2 Likes

The gullet is NOT the trachea and if there is one thing you need for a (survivable) tracheotomy (…) it is precise knowledge of anatomy of the throat. The gullet is behind the trachea anyway, why not bring a katana and chop the whole head off when you are at it?

Best leave it to the pros.

6 Likes

you keep using that word

2 Likes

Harumph…Butter? Everyone knows it’s Eggwhites.

2 Likes

That’s the phrase as reported by my mother. She’s not here to question, and we haven’t got the book either. There is a lot of tough stuff in the neck. No pen-knife I have ever met would get through.

Amazing! People writing without actually knowing. It would never happen on the modern internet. /s

2 Likes

The modern AED’s talk you through the process. If you can open the case, the rest is just literally following directions. It is (almost) foolproof.

8 Likes

Seriously. That should be written everywhere and shouted out everywhere. They are putting AEDs all round the place so that if you are in a commercial area you are most likely only a minute or two from one. Or in an entertainment place or sports place.Everyone should know you turn them in and it tells you what to do and that it won’t administer a shock unless it is required. So you can’t hurt anyone.

And you don’t rub electrodes together. Like on the telly.

I just did my recertification last week and two of the questions were what to do if the situation was dangerous (the answer is don’t try to help, instant fail if you get it wrong) which always reminds me of US gun nutz suggestions to have armed first responders. DO NO HARM CHUCKLEHEADS!

Not even to yourself.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.