Time travel back to 1920s Paris, in color

Originally published at: Time travel back to 1920s Paris, in color | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Apparently 1920s Paris was all beige and purple, according to our AI overlords.

5 Likes

Seeing how much the streets were given over to free-flowing car traffic, and knowing all these people remembered a time when there were no cars, it’s kind of mind-blowing that they were on board with it.

3 Likes

The time before cars was a time full of horses and carts, and they certainly remembered being ankle-deep in horseshit.

3 Likes

That, combined with the plasticine-looking skin, makes for some serious effet de vallée étrange.

4 Likes

I wish I could put into words how much I hate AI colorizations.

6 Likes

@POPKIN That’ll be 6 posts of yours today that have non-functioning comments tabs. Could you go back in time to 10am and do a reset pls?

3 Likes

A BBS account is another Popkin link that isn’t working, which is no doubt part of the problem.

I’ll instead put up the @orenwolf signal so someone who cares about the comments can look into fixing the links.

Indeed. Cars were the future, and Paris was still considered the city of the future. They weren’t seers who could foresee the destructive effects of the car on urban health, so this seemed like progress.

Still, it’s a jarring contrast to the way I’ve always personally envisioned the Paris of the Lost Generation expats, which is more pedestrian- and flaneur-centric.

1 Like

Those were, I suspect, in more suburban arrondissements, which hadn’t had Napoleon’s boulevards bulldozed through.

1 Like

Thanks. I tried to email @orenwolf but no response from a previously used email address.

1 Like

Just @-ing him here should be enough to get his attention. If he hasn’t responded, then he’s probably busy: possibly even busy fixing the things he’s being @-ed for.

2 Likes

I’m sure there were plenty of detractors, some residents hated the Eiffel Tower when it was constructed.

Hopefully it still is the city of the future in regards to this development:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.