Tiny custom "iMac"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/26/tiny-custom-imac.html

1 Like

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRsn2f6dxCk

1 Like

Hmmm… this looks familiar

7 Likes

This is a really cool idea.

Cutting through those port connectors really triggered me, though… Has dude never heard of unsoldering? I mean, the USB ports are one thing, since he would need to replace them with single height (or even better, remote them with a modded leftover USB case header) USB ports, but leaving half a Ethernet port on your board that you cut with a Dremel? That isn’t asking for problems with having randomly terminated signal, power, shield, and ground lines… at least cut the port off all the way…

5 Likes

They really improved the user interface since then.

I would have gone the desoldering route too, but top marks to Michael for lateral thinking and a bit of moxie - chop it up with a dremel! I’m amazed it works - I wouldn’t have had the courage to carve up a RasPi 4 like that, they aren’t that cheap - at least in Australia.

1 Like

I just checked the Australian Raspi reseller… Nargh, you all are getting hit with stupid expensive tariffs or something (like shipping or license fees); badly. The Zeros aren’t too bad ($5US/$7AUD vs $9.50AUD, W $10US/$14AUD vs $20 AUD), but the 3s are ridiculous stupid ($20US/$28AUD for a 3B+ vs $72AUD) and a 4gb 4B+ is $50US/$69AUD vs $102AUD. (Comparing against in-store cash and carry prices at Microcenter) (Yes, I happen to have a store that carries them 20 minutes from my house… :slight_smile: )

I’d offer to transship for you, but personal shipping to AU from the US is crazy; you’d probably pay just as much in shipping as the price difference. (I have a friend who moved to Australia a few years ago; he still has a few boxes of stuff in my house awaiting an empty return suitcase…)

(Edited to clarify: something is driving up the price, my guess is not the local Pi distributor.)

1 Like

“I’m a Mac person so god forbid you have a wire coming out of your computer.”

:face_with_monocle::roll_eyes:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.