Tiny sand flies that spread disfiguring infection have arrived in U.S.

Originally published at: Tiny sand flies that spread disfiguring infection have arrived in U.S. | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Yikes! I’m familiar with leishmaniasis from soldiers returning from deployment in the Middle East. It’s not just the skin lesions that are a problem. It’s also the neuropathy that can spread pretty far from the infection site.

I hope the treatment has improved significantly over the past 20-some years. When I last dealt with it, the IV antibiotics required were almost as bad as the disease.

16 Likes

Page part care GIF - Find on GIFER

5 Likes

:neutral_face: this gives me less reasons for me to go outside i guess. But this is unsurprising though most unwelcome news

2 Likes

Conservatives: And anyway, even if it is real then maybe global warming is a good thing, I like having these mild winters up north!

OK, but I’m still trying to figure out what this “goatse” is that was mentioned in another post.

/s

6 Likes

Everyone I know that does tropical field work has a leishmaniasis horror story. Many grad school parties ended up with stories about leish and botflies (and we wondered why non-biologists never came)

10 Likes

Would it help if we built a border wall?

/s

2 Likes

Oh cool. Headed to tropical paradise in April and get to add another new thing to my list to my list of things to be paranoid about.

Urchin
Botfly
Stone fish
Sand spurs
Sand fly
Bed bugs

Hooray vacations! :woozy_face:

3 Likes

This takes me back to second grade (around '74?), when our teacher showed a film about all the dangerous diseases you could catch from insects, worms, or larvae. The images of leishmaniasis, elephantitis and such really stuck with me.

6 Likes

welcome to paradise!
yikes! i live close by, and while not experiencing sand flies yet, the no-see-ums are real, as are lionfish, Naegleria fowleri, Burmese pythons, yellow fever, dengue, etc. not to mention the native shit that wants us dead, it’s a “magical place”.
y’all come back now, y’hear?!

10 Likes

I take back all the bad things I said about spotted lanternflies.

3 Likes

And on top of all this, Ron DeSantis… or is he already included in the ‘native shit that wants to kill us’ category?

3 Likes

I may be remembering badly, but I think our Vet in Italy warned us about it, said they would bite dogs and cats on exposed skin too.

1 Like

Yeah. That stuff is nasty. =(
AND way under funded/ studied because it’s a problem for brown and poor people.

Not any more
:grimacing:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.