American? Don't go to these countries: Russia, Belarus, Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Afghanistan, Somalia and more!

Originally published at: American? Don't go to these countries: Rissia, Belarus, Iran, Syrua, Venezuela, Afghanistan, Somalia and more! | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I had no plans to visit the mysterious countries of Rissia or Syrua, but thanks for the heads up!

Edit: how dare @beschizza fix his typos and ruin my post!

15 Likes

You joke about Canada, but I wonder if there are any “alternative watchlists” for the MAGA/QNut set that actually do include my home and/on Native land? “Don’t go there! Centrists not welcome! Govmint tryna make everybody gay! Groomers in liberries everywhere!”

11 Likes

Honestly, I think most people, no matter what country they are from, shouldn’t visit any of those countries.

8 Likes

Seriously, go to Lesotho! Everything’s dirt cheap, the people are sweet, everyone speaks English, the sunsets are amazing, there’s music everywhere, and you’ll feel fortunate for the rest of your life. Or you can just save yourself some airfare and read my novel about it. Or, if you want someplace not quite as desperately poor and violent and dusty, Swaziland!

11 Likes

Violent and desperately poor is fine, but dusty is right out.

10 Likes

You guys can afford to travel?

3clqfh

13 Likes

There’s a travel advisory warning Canadian LGBTQ+ folks that travel to the US is dangerous. Does that count…?

16 Likes

I don’t know if you remember the story - but a number of years ago there was a retired sheriff from AZ, I believe, and his wife that took a trip up to Calgary. While there they were walking through a park in the city and were approach by a couple of young men who wanted to give them discount coupons to The Calgary Stampede. He and his wife were so traumatized by the even that he felt the need to write a letter to the editor of the local paper complaining how angry he was that he wasn’t allowed to take his guns into Canada.

7 Likes

I’d like to do both – I’ve heard amazing things about Lesotho. How would I find your novel about it, were I to go looking…?

5 Likes

Myanmar (Burma) is still at war with itself.

Afghanistan is run by woman-hating sociopaths.

Belarus is run by a sociopathic dictator who supports and worships rootin’ tootin’ vladimir putin.

Haiti is fighting amongst itself.

Hungary is listed as OK, but it certainly isn’t for those who are LGBT+ !!!

Sudan and South Sudan became separate countries to end a civil war, which still rages.

Iran’s “government” appears to hate absolutely everyone, including Iranians - but esp the women.

Iraq wasn’t doing so hot before we showed up there and broke everything.

Jamaica is listed as level 3, but I sure as fuck wouldn’t go nor suggest anyone travel there until the crime’s back under control. Their current “government” is less than worthless in re: to diff’rent diff’rent t’ings besides the crime. ETA: JA is also extremely intolerant of LGBT+ folks, which is fucked.

n korea should be on everyone’s no-visit list.
Wish we could rescue everyone who wants outta their country.

russia, Syria, and Ukraine are no travel no-brainers, obvs for different reasons, but all related to vladi putin.

Niger - “On July 26, President Mohamed Bazoum was placed under house arrest amidst efforts to overthrow the democratically elected government of Niger.”

Somalia - “Do not travel to Somalia due to crime, terrorism, civil unrest, health issues, kidnapping, and piracy.”

Venezuela - “Do not travel to Venezuela due to crime, civil unrest, kidnapping, and the arbitrary enforcement of local laws. Reconsider travel due to wrongful detentions, terrorism, and poor health infrastructure.”

Yemen - “Do not travel to Yemen due to terrorism, civil unrest, health risks, kidnapping, armed conflict, and landmines.”

Central African Republic - “Do not travel to the Central African Republic (CAR) due to Embassy Bangui’s limited capacity to provide support to U.S. citizens, crime, civil unrest, and kidnapping.”
“Armed groups control large areas of the country and they regularly kidnap, injure, and/or kill civilians. In the event of unrest, airport, land border, and road closures may occur with little or no notice.”
“The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in the Central African Republic; U.S. government employees must obtain special authorization to travel outside the Embassy compound.

None of these are unreasonable; some I think should be 4s instead of 3s; nor do most of the reasons for avoiding these countries (for once) involve “USians broke everything here, thus are justly despised. Stay away.”

24 Likes

“Pirates are fun!”

“I didn’t say they weren’t fun, Hans, but they’re definitely the baddies.”

9 Likes

I worked a job and a co-worker and her husband were saving money to go hiking in the Zagros mountains in Turkey and maaaaybe Iran… she was concerned about the political climate and being a tourist. I’m just like- “I know you make a a hair above 40k and you both live at your parents house- how is this working out for you long term, even if you don’t get kidnapped”

Yes, god forbid they don’t embrace living in debt for eternity just so they can buy an overpriced house… I mean, how stupid is it to go out and do things you actually enjoy in life! The FOOLS! /s

17 Likes

ok, ok. All is true, different strokes and all that.

2 Likes

There were also American tourists who thought they’d be able to drive their motorhome — complete with guns — through BC en route to Alaska, wasn’t there? I don’t think there were any arrests, but it was interesting to see the lack of understanding that no, Canada’s laws aren’t just like the US’s.

9 Likes

I do remember it. How lucky for all concerned that he didn’t have his gun with him.

7 Likes

1 – A second vote to visit Lesotho. It’s been many years, but visiting Lesotho (and other southern African countries) is a good reminder that poor nations are great places to visit, and that the people living there are often reminders of our common humanity, even when the basics of modern civilization are hard to come by (except for cell phones – they’re ubiquitous).

2 – Swaziland was renamed to Eswatini a few years ago.

12 Likes

That’s funny to you, the rest of us find threats to life terrifying and real.

11 Likes

For US citizens: When in doubt register yourself:

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

https://step.state.gov/step/

Always check where the nearest consulate or embassy is located.

9 Likes