Tip: cover paint can with tissue before hammering it shut

[Read the post]

Thanks Obama!

1 Like

An additional suggestion is to put a wide scrap board across the top of the can. Hitting this rather than the can directly, keeps the lid from being deformed. Thus the can will seal better for longer.

5 Likes

Splatters are not a problem if you clean out the gutter by punching nail holes in it and wiping with a rag before closing. This also keeps paint from drying there and making it hard to open.

3 Likes

Who doesn’t use a rubber mallet (so no deformation) and wipe out the gutter (so no splatter)?

Or use one of these and there’s nothing to wipe out of the gutter.

2 Likes

Exactly. Don’t leave the gutter full of paint in the first place. Though I’d never heard of the nail hole trick.

I never knew paint splatter from closing the can was a thing, because I was always careful about wiping the paint out of the gutter. It’s a bit of a pain keeping the gutter clean though, so I took a .99 gamble on a spout and never looked back. The spout also does double duty for scraping extra paint off of a full brush.

The best paint related tip I ever got was that you can store your “dirty” brushes and rollers in a refrigerator for up to many weeks without them drying out. Just wrap them tightly in a plastic grocery store bag and they are good to go. Saves a lot of time and water for when your paint project lasts multiple days/weekends.

3 Likes

Exactly. The first thing to do, as soon as you open any can of paint, is to punch a few holes through the can inside the gutter. If you don’t have an actual punch, a nail will work fine. Any paint that gets in will tend to drain back down into the can, and the lid can easily be closed without spattering. That is a much better tip than the original- I got it 50 years ago from a friend in the Coast Guard, where he was required to do this to every paint can they opened.

1 Like

Or even a paint-stirrer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.