How to open a can without a can opener

Originally published at: How to open a can without a can opener | Boing Boing

1 Like

WHO ROUSES ME… oh, that kind of can opener?

… Have you tried strapping it on top of a vehicle that’s about 12’ tall and driving around Durham?

25 Likes

… a spoon is a tool, dammit. Jeebus I lost a couple IQ points reading that article.

There’s a reason why I keep a multi-tool with me, and why I have a can opener (or a “church key”) at work in drawer where I keep my personal belongings. Both a can opener and a ‘church key’ are commonly available at most food stores, I might add.

And to echo the comment in the lifehacker ‘article’: hit up an army surplus store and buy a handful of P-38 can openers. They ain’t the best in the world, but it’s better than “using a spoon as a grinding implement”…

8 Likes

Freaking g/o media. Articles that don’t need freaking video are made into videos and those that would be better with video are all text. At least this wasn’t a listicle

7 Likes

16 Likes

Option: knock on neighbor’s door and say “I seem to have misplaced my can opener, may I borrow yours?”

14 Likes

you can just jam the tip of a reasonably sharp knife into the groove and work your way around. the straight style can openers have a little hook to grab the lip with but the cutter is just a knife. the crank style ones have a circular knife. they’re all just knives.

11 Likes

Of course, tinned pineapple has been a problem for many years:

http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/grol/jerome/3men12.htm

5 Likes

I like to hit mine with a rock

5 Likes

It must have been difficult for the people of England in those days to have found a spot where these thoughtless young folk were not spooning.

Seems a lot of people lost their can openers and tried the lifehack

4 Likes

Will be good to know in the zombie apocalypse.

1 Like

The answer depends on whether the can is in Texas or not.

2 Likes

So when you have a can’t opener

4 Likes

“Opener? Why, I barely …”

3 Likes

The top of concrete curb stops are a good friction surface for the rub-the-lid tactic, and usually cleaner than a sidewalk.

1 Like

Every manufacturer that can should go ahead and make the switch to pop-a-top style cans. It just makes sense.

Wait a minute, is that a pun?

1 Like

Winona Ryder Movie GIF by filmeditor

7 Likes
2 Likes

Is there a reason this article is illustrated with a picture of a can with a pull tab? Weird.

5 Likes