The best can opener

Originally published at: The best can opener | Boing Boing

1 Like

No sharp edges? Where is your sense of adventure?

2 Likes

4 Likes

Counterpoint: The Best Can Opener | Reviews by Wirecutter

Completely depends on how you define “best.”
For me, this is it:

6 Likes

I’ve found that the side cutter can openers have difficulty with smaller diameter cans like tomato paste.

3 Likes

We have a Hamilton Beach can opener that appears to work the same way. It cuts around the top of the can instead of inside the ridge on top. It sits on the countertop and plugs in. Cost is two bucks more. Does the job.

I have this same opened and have had no issues with smaller cans, especially 'mater paste.

Probably because this isn’t a side cutter, it actually uncrimps the lid from the top of the sides, thus you can recap the paste can and put in the fridge for later. I write the date on the top as well, just for food safety theater; the paste usually gets used within a month or so.

2 Likes

Kewl. I’ve got one of these, which I’ve been very happy with and looks rather similar. :smiley:

Starfrit Securimax

1 Like

AFAIK all “handle crank” style can openers can be used in the orientation that cuts the side of the can instead of the top. No sharp edges, and no buying a new can opener. It seems like a lot of people have never been shown that you can use them all both ways.

1 Like

I still have a P-38 on my keyring. Just in case I guess.

3 Likes

Lid un-crimpers are the best. No fishing out a lid that accidentally fell in, doesn’t slice up your spatula edge getting stuff out, and a re-closable top, just wrap a rubber band over it and you’ll have time to right the can if you knock it over.

2 Likes

Me, too, and one stuck up on a magnet near the fridge.
I know that if/when I get arthritis, I will redefine “best” and while I’m at home I often use our crappy hand-crank version, but generally, something that’s small enough to fit in my pocket, works well, and has minimal breakable pieces and zero unrecyclable parts is tops for me.

1 Like

This is also from Kuhn Rikon, but with added features, such as a bottle opener, jar opener, and pull-tab opener.

It does not, however, play the banjo.

opener01
opener02

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.