How to open a can without a can opener

That’s some private joke understandable by a small segment of BoingBoing/ LifeHacker readers. By the state of the G/O properties, this segment is getting smaller everyday!

We’ll played!

Once on a teenage camping trip, I had to open a tin (that’s what we call them here, cans are for beverages) with a stupidly large Bowie knife. It’s not as easy as the article suggests and the health and safety implications are… well, they’re there and they’re obvious.

Since then, I’ve never been very far away from one of these…

p-51-can-opener

Despite its small size, it’s a really effective and pleasant tool to use. Wrap the hinged blade in electrical tape and carry it on you keys or on a zipper-pull.

6 Likes

But what if I don’t have a box cutter and can’t open my Pop Tarts or Fruit Loops?

Our can opener belonged to my wife’s mom and is decades old. When I can’t find it because it’s in the same drawer it’s been in for decades I’ve been known to use a knife just for fun.

1 Like

Just dont forget you have it when you go through a US airport! Although, I’d love to see someone try to open a cockpit door using one of these.

3 Likes

My cat Pastel opens boxes she shouldn’t all the time. You can borrow her if you’d like.

6 Likes

New Primitive Technology video?

8 Likes

Like mathematician, duh.

9 Likes

Can can?

3 Likes

I pretty much have that coveted…
‘sure thing movie’…

maybe the big deal is how to begin the re-cycling of hundreds of empty drinks cans can
that those people have dropped by the wayside

4 Likes

History Channel Nothing Left GIF by HISTORY UK

3 Likes

While messy, our dear friend the Crazy Russian Hacker shows how it can be done with your bare hands.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.