To fake her own death, beauty blogger killed her doppelganger

Originally published at: To fake her own death, beauty blogger killed her doppelganger | Boing Boing

3 Likes

WTAF.

45 Likes

I would have thought that cop shows had given more or less everyone in range of vaguely contemporary pop culture the idea that ‘DNA’ is a thing they sometimes check murder scenes for by now.

46 Likes

Bloody hell. How shit must your life be that you need to destroy another’s to free yourself from something you can never escape. This is beyond my scope…

31 Likes

11 Likes

I suppose a killer might be able to fool some kind of forensic tests by doing that thing that Bane did with the nuclear scientist in the beginning of The Dark Knight Rises (where he used a blood transfusion from the guy he was disappearing to a recently-drained lookalike cadaver that he subsequently abandoned to a plane crash) but that would probably take a lot of preparation and expertise.

10 Likes

I feel a particular sympathy for people who are the victims of really dumb crimes. I mean, did this poor woman really have to die just so another young woman could get herself sent to prison for life in the stupidest way possible? Because her plan had, to a close approximation, a 0% chance of succeeding.

Bonus moron points to the accomplice who said “Yeah, sounds good, that’ll work.”

40 Likes

Shahraban K wanted to run away from trouble at home.

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume she was the source of the trouble at home.

23 Likes

If you are that motivated I am sure there is a better/easier way to move / not talk to people you don’t want to be around.

Such as to moving / not talking to people you don’t want to be around.

11 Likes

Or fingerprints. Or dental records. Or blood type. This is quite the intersection of psychopathy and plain ole dumbness.

18 Likes

Um… Did she happen to blog all of this?

7 Likes

Even if there was no DNA/forensic evidence, people are going to notice the victim is gone. There are records of the victim arranging to meet with the killer. Even if the police bought the identity swap ruse, the killer just traded her identity for the prime suspect of her own murder.

16 Likes

How does a species of such high intelligence regularly turn out such unhinged batshit craziness like this?

3 Likes

That must have been a lot of work to find someone so identical… I mean… even having the same ill-advised nonsense wrist tattoos.

1 Like

August press reports indicated that the ‘family trouble’ was with regard to the arranged marriage that she was forced into.

13 Likes

How does a species of such high intelligence regularly turn out such unhinged batshit craziness like this?

We surpassed our own natural predators through technology. When once the “hold my beer” types were Thagomized and removed from the gene pool, now they manage to survive their ordeals thanks to guns and advanced medical care.

6 Likes

This is basically the Nabokov novel Despair.

7 Likes

Did any of the press reports you mention include any detail on the prior response(or, likely, lack thereof) on the part of the local authorities to this ‘family trouble’?

It’s not as though I can elicit even sarcastic surprise at the authorities ignoring a ‘family matter’ until a woman ends up dead, that’s close to SOP; but it was my understanding that coerced arranged marriages were one of the things that Germany was theoretically against allowing to be imported. This seems like a situation where (unless the alleged perpetrator resorted to extreme measures vastly more quickly than most) there was probably a bunch of ugly but much less mediagenic lead-up.

I wasn’t able to dig up much of use, since the murder is so wildly mediagenic as to dominate the results; plus the articles that look detailed are mostly german-language media I’m not familiar with; but that seems like an important part of the story.

6 Likes

I logged in to say exactly this.

Read your Nabokov people-it’ll save you from a few major life mistakes.

3 Likes

Here’s how you pull off faking your own death without being an evil person and killing someone innocent:

4 Likes