To fake her own death, beauty blogger killed her doppelganger

I dunno, I don’t think that “lessons” is the reason to read Nabokov. Don’t kill someone who you think looks like you to get away with some complicated and arcane scheme? Don’t marry a repulsive-to-you person just to date their child? These don’t seem like lessons that the vast majority of people really need.

Oh, sorry, SPOILERS!

7 Likes

Which species are you referring to?

6 Likes

The three major hindrances to IRL USA cops investigating crimes via DNA are facilities, funds, and lack of concern. You’d think they could fix the funds part, but too much money is going to ammo and donuts.

8 Likes

Here’s another TikTok tip for you not to try at home, kids.

6 Likes

The mice, the dolphins … was there another one?

8 Likes

I remember an article in the New Yorker, right around when CSI was at its peak, investigating how an actual crime lab in NYC worked. The general answer, as you suggested, is “not at all like that.” No money for tests, and even if a CSI person finds three molecules of a blue sweater AND can run tests that show the alleged killer owned a sweater of that same material, the chance of that being allowed at trial as real scientific evidence is slim.

6 Likes

I mean, I know how it breaks down here in the US because I’ve spoken to actual lab techs, but I’m still curious to know if there’s more interest in the follow-through in European countries.

4 Likes

I suspect it varies widely, but in a lot of cases, it might still come down to similar-but-localized facts: Resources are devoted based on local standards of attractiveness, wealth, and whether or not the victim is [insert “correct” race and/or social caste for the location].

4 Likes

Well, at least German police managed to solve the case of the Phantom of Heilbronn.

1 Like

Cordyceps

4 Likes

That is just so not cool, man.

A weird thing about this terrible story that no one seems to have noticed is that these women don’t look anything alike, let alone being “doppelgängers.”* (Or maybe they do to most people. I think I’m a super-recognizer. I can pick out any old person from their baby picture, for example, and I’ve never in my life seen identical twins that were truly identical.)

*Ooh, autocorrect put a li’l Motley Crue thing over that word! … But didn’t in Motley Crue.

6 Likes

checks out

3 Likes

Perhaps in this case it just required an extreme misperception of how shit one’s life actually is… if at all. To lure and murder an innocent stranger.

2 Likes

Truly malignant stupidity.

The homo sapiens program might be pretty nifty, but the operating system is austraulopithecus and the BIOS is lizard.

6 Likes

With no disrespect intended to the victim of this crime (or others), you just described the heart of every Cohen Brothers film.

1 Like

The Coen Brothers capture the essential truth that most criminals are not smart people. The ones who go unpunished owe their impunity more to good fortune than innate genius.

I feel though that the Coen Brothers would probably have looked at this case and said “No, this one’s just too dumb, we’re not touching that.”

5 Likes

You’d be surprised how much of an overlap between criminal and idiot there is. Not always, and it’s not to say that all criminals are stupid, but there’s definitely a lot of crimes that are solved by pretty obvious lapses.

2 Likes

Livestream, baby!

2 Likes