Toblerone chocolate bars must chuck the Matterhorn from its packaging after losing its Swiss status

8 Likes

“Flavored with other natural flavors” is ominous.

7 Likes

I only ever buy Toblerone when I pass through an airport, because Mrs. PartTimeZombie likes them, and I haven’t travelled much recently for obvious reasons, but I had to go to Melbourne last week so I picked one up for her as I normally do.
She told me not to bother the next time as it wasn’t very nice anymore.
Now I know why. Mondelez make everything they touch worse.

9 Likes

In other news, Häagen-Dazs lids have a map of Denmark but it’s really produced in New Jersey.

2 Likes

If they had moved to Italy they could still have the Matterhorn on their packaging, but it is not as distinctive from the south. Slovakia has plenty of mountains, Kriváň could stand in.

3 Likes

I would have thought, together with Mount Fuji, it is the one mountain in the world everyone recognised, due to its very distinctive and dramatic shape.

6 Likes

This is not what prompted the change. It’s been owned by a US company since 1990. What’s changed is they are moving some production to Slovakia.

None of this is related to the issue.

In 2017, Switzerland passed new laws defining how a product can be described as Swiss. It must use a certain percentage of Swiss-sourced ingredients and be manufactured to some percentage in Switzerland. Toblerone has long since not met these new stricter requirements, and the change today is that law catching up to them.

This isn’t unique to Switzerland. Similar laws exist around how you can all something “Made in USA” or “Made in Canada” too.

I don’t know why there’s so much misinformation around this in the post and thread here.

8 Likes

Wasn’t @Brainspore aware of that and asking whether, on the basis of this law, the change is only needed to sell Toblerone within Switzerland, or whether—through trade agreements and the EU single market —the Swiss Made label also applied in other markets?

I don’t think there is much confusion in this thread. People are just wondering about the ramifications of Swiss legislation for other countries

3 Likes

Well, it’s nothing to do with EU food regulations and the main post was factually incorrect on multiple points, so yah I’d say there’s some confusion.

2 Likes

I would say it goes with the Cervino, as a bear is quite certainly a reference to Bern’s origins.

Disclaimer: I love chocolate, so I haven’t touched a Toblerone in 50 years.

3 Likes

No. Flags of sovereign countries cannot be trademarked, at least in the US. ( § 1052 (b)). “No trademark by which the goods of the applicant may be distinguished from the goods of others shall be refused registration on the principal register on account of its nature unless it (b) Consists of or comprises the flag or coat of arms or other insignia of the United States, or of any State or municipality, or of any foreign nation, or any simulation thereof.”

2 Likes
1 Like

Ben Stein is going to be furious.

2 Likes

Oh No High Quality GIF

1 Like

Came here to say much the same.

Also, I feel this kind of packaging should be banned because it’s shipping too much air and empty space.

3 Likes

I’ve never been to Disneyland either. AND I NEVER WILL!

I know the Bear is the symbol of Berne. I liked the motif-within-a-motif of the bear in the mountain snow. If they have to use a generic mountain, maybe they could have another animal. A Guanaca, maybe, or a pangolin.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what they have done.

2 Likes
4 Likes

chuck the Matterhorn

Is that like tossing the caber, only more extreme?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.