Today (8th May) is the 20th anniversary of the legendary Jimmy Glass goal

Carlisle United match highlights

I still find it hard to believe it really happened, and I was there in the pitch invasion.

6 Likes

I gather this is mainly noteworthy because Glass was a goalkeeper?

I remember once watching highlights of a game which switched from 0-4 to 4-4 in extra time. It was ridiculous. I hate extra time reversals, they are too dependent on the mood of the ref that day and mainly tell you about the mental state of the teams at the very end of the match instead of overall quality. In pro soccer it is largely about the depth of the bench, which in turn reflects the pocketbook of the owner. If I were the God of soccer (which I haven’t been since I stopped reffing) I would have no added time ever for any reason, and red card any player who wastes any time during the match. (I would also ban parents from kid’s games.)

2 Likes

Because he was a goalkeeper who was on loan from another team (Swindon Town), who scored the winning goal with the last real kick of the last game of the season which Carlisle needed to win to stay in the professional leagues. It was full time before the ball left the centre circle after kick-off.

The fourth official decides what the added time is, not the ref.

The mental state at Carlisle United was resignation and despair. Also, quality is shown by form over the whole season (46 games in this case). Carlisle were fighting for survival at the bottom for a reason.

This isn’t the Big Six here. We are talking the bottom of the professional leagues, where good players currently get £1000 a week maybe. A decent middle class wage, but no more.

The owner, Michael Knighton, wasn’t spending any money then. In fact he sold the few good players we had, which was the reason why we had a goalkeeper on loan in the first place. Apparently Nigel Pearson, the manager, had no say in the sale of Tony Caig, and nearly punched Knighton when he found out. We only got £5000 for him. Carlisle’s sub goalkeeper was from the youth team that day.

Even though the Laws of the Game say otherwise? If you tried that in any EFA sanctioned game you would be the subject of an inquiry into your behaviour. You would be lucky if they let you referee in the Bristol and Avon league if you had a habit of doing that.

From Wikipedia

Added time was introduced because of an incident which happened in 1891 during a match between Stoke and Aston Villa. Trailing 1–0 and with just two minutes remaining, Stoke were awarded a penalty. Villa’s goalkeeper kicked the ball out of the ground, and by the time the ball had been recovered, the 90 minutes had elapsed and the game was over.[100] The same law also states that the duration of either half is extended until the penalty kick to be taken or retaken is completed, thus no game shall end with a penalty to be taken.[101]

A Plymouth player broke his leg in the match, which was why there was added time (it used to be called injury time for a reason).

2 Likes

Carlisle’s local newspaper has an interview with the Plymouth keeper that day.

And how did Scarborough see things?

3 Likes

But the ref blows the whistle. For example, the ref in the Liverpool-Barca match blew the whistle several seconds before the added time was up, and it is quite common for the match to go well beyond the original added time.

If I were the God of soccer (which I haven’t been since I stopped reffing) I

Even though the [Laws of the Game]From Wikipedia

As a God I would not be bound by the laws of Man (or FIFA).

That’s a beauty! And you stormed the pitch? That’s awesome.

In the US National Women’s Soccer League, Michelle Betos had a similar goal for equalizer in stoppage time a few years ago. She wasn’t on loan, but it was a diving header goal!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.