Today's dumbest clickbait for July 24, 2024

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/24/todays-dumbest-clickbait-for-july-24-2024.html

7 Likes

NGL, this might be my new favourite thing on Boing Boing.

8 Likes

Today, I’m saving you from clicking on four articles

What makes you think I would even be on Unilad, Comic Sands, Parade, The Things in the first place, let alone click on stories like this?

(To be clear, I’ve never even heard of those places.)

4 Likes

I think the idea is that they’re headlines that might show up in your news feed or in the sponsored/suggested articles at the end of some article you read, rather than assuming you actively read clickbait farm sites.

Mostly, it’s just an opportunity to chuckle at how hyperbolic clickbait headlines are and how little payoff there is to bothering to slog through pages of text and ads to try to find out what they’re actually about, I assume.

sensiblechuckle

10 Likes

Another mistaken assumption I’m afraid. I have no ‘news feed’. But I guess people who do might have one from somewhere with a fucked-up-enough algorithm to serve this shit. If I did have a news feed and it served up shit like this, I’d stop using it.

Clickbait article is clickbait.

2 Likes

I’m cautiously on board. In the context of what Ellsworth posted before, it may be ironic or responsive.

In any event, it is, to the extent it succeeds, the opposite of of clickbait. It’s clickbait spoilers. But for sure you have to click on it.

3 Likes

doctor who spoilers GIF

4 Likes

It’s still not ‘mostly wonderful content’; it’s chum bucket aggregation, which seems like a peevish response to previous feedback from the commentariat, at best.

5 Likes

You do get that the article wasn’t specifically targeting you, assuming to know your habits and your interests, right?

If your goal was to post to say “Hey, I’m not the target demographic for this post, but I’m going to reply anyway!”, mission accomplished?

I hate seeing dumb headlines like this (even in BB advertising), and I personally appreciate defusing my lizard brain by making it ignore four of these stupid things this way.

6 Likes

w00t!
so much this!

5 Likes

That pretty much sums up my own dislike for those headlines and simultaneous need to know the “chilling words” or whatever is teased in those headlines.
The chilling words one actually made me laugh out loud because I just know if I’d read that article, I’d have gotten to the end and thought, “wait, what were the words?” And I’d have to read back through trying to figure out which words counted as “chilling.”

4 Likes

So it is clickbait? :wink:

4 Likes

No…really? Well blow me down. /s

Yep.

Well, clicking on them here isn’t ignoring them. I’ll be actually ignoring them by not even reading the article in future.

Precisely. Chum bucket chum is still chum bucket chum. Not mostly wonderful at all.

LIke I said already, clickbait post is clickbait.

All of which is a preamble to actually coming out and saying it. I think I may be disappointed! :wink:

2 Likes

People who enjoy this sort of thing should definitely check out r/savedyouaclick which has been isolating clickbait for years and years.

4 Likes

Maybe so, but is a joke still funny when it’s repeated every day?

3 Likes

crushed noo GIF

4 Likes

How does one go about muting stories? I’ve looked and looked.

3 Likes

Are these links that would show up if I turned off my ad blocker?

1 Like

It sure as hell ain’t my cuppa.

3 Likes

Click on the bell icon.

bing

1 Like