Today's mass shootings

definitely the same root cause though: easy access to deadly weapons :frowning:

11 Likes

16 yo mom and her 10 mo baby, shot multiple times in the fucking head. God damn this shit!

15 Likes

Angry Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

13 Likes

Authorities received a call at 3:38 a.m. Monday about multiple shots being fired — so many that it initially seemed like an active shooter situation — at the residence in the town of Goshen, some 170 miles (273.59 kilometers) south of downtown Los Angeles.

This is just awful. That happened just outside my hometown. Goshen is a super tightknit community and I had to check to be sure I didn’t know anyone. I feel terrible for entire town. :cry:

(Also, the town is ~186 miles north of downtown Angeles, not 170 miles south.)

13 Likes

Immediately thought this was a rehash of one of the previous Walmart shootings. Nope, this is a new Walmart shooting. Gaaah!

11 Likes

Sorry if you thought my post was a problem. It’s gone now.

1 Like

Unfortunately, for a lot of people, Walmart is the only local option.

18 Likes

I don’t think Walmart is the proximate cause of the shootings, honestly.

14 Likes

That is, alas all too true.

3 Likes

… if we can just get all those people to shop at Kroger instead, everything will be great /s

8 Likes

Another family annihilator.
Few answers after Alabama woman’s death leads Tennessee police to ‘gruesome discovery’ of sons, husband - al.com

12 Likes

I cannot express how sad it makes me that “family annihilator” has entered the lexicon. God, we are broken. And it will never be enough for the gun nuts. They want more and more. Just enforcing domestic violence exclusion for gun ownership would make an actual difference. But it won’t happen.

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

20 Likes

Incredibly, or maybe not, the relatives of the victims in this case are the gun nuts, calling for more guns for protection against one’s immediate family, as well as more religiosity.

Warning: Upsetting details in this story, the more so because they are so familiar. The relevant passage is quoted below.

“Tausha’s family released a statement on the tragedy to the media and public, acknowledging the hurt they and the community were feeling and expressing their faith in God and the “plan of salvation that extends far beyond the mortal loss of those most precious to us.” They cautioned the media and public against politicizing the family’s story, particularly in order to motivate gun control or reform. Instead, they noted that all the adults in the household were trained in using firearms to protect themselves, and blamed the removal of those guns for the tragedy.

(The father—the killer—had removed all firearms from the home in the days leading up to the murders.)

19 Likes

So the Utah family thinks some kind of shootout would be the ideal outcome, rather than removing all the firearms from the household (obviously this guy kept one or more for himself).

Maybe they need to watch the last 1/3 of Reservoir Dogs?

15 Likes

They’d embrace the shootout as being righteous and condemn the language as being dirty and ungodly. :triumph:

13 Likes

They’re operating from the same thinking process as the murderer did: getting rid of the guns means that the 4yo, twin 7yo, 12yo, and 17yo children weren’t able to defend themselves by shooting their father before he shot them. Because that’s a normal family scenario. They’re not thinking how to keep everyone from being killed, they’re thinking how to make sure there are enough guns available that there’s a ‘fairer’ shoot-out.

18 Likes

The idea that it would be “better” if a child were put in a position of having to shoot their father is mind-bending. Cannot grasp this thought process.

25 Likes

It never ends.

8 Likes

… the only thing that stops a bad parent with a gun is arming all the children :crazy_face:

11 Likes

At least there is method to the madness. So they’ve got that going for them, which is horrible. Why is it so easy to create an environment that lures people into fervently believing that the crazy shit they’re pulling off is “the right thing” to do?

7 Likes