Tokyo's 95-square-foot "microapartments"

Reminds me of the Four Yorkshiremen sketch from Monty Python:
“There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.”
“Cardboard box?”
“Aye.”
“You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank.”

13 Likes

Luxury!

2 Likes

Yeah definitely nicer than my dorm room was, much cheaper too. I wouldn’t mind all that much.

I’m also a homebody but for a year I lived in a 200 sq ft place in San Francisco. It basically made me into a “going out” person for that year because your options become “go out” or “go crazy”. I’d go to restaurants to read my book, spend time in the library, go to area parks a lot, that sort of thing. It was good for me, I think! I’m in no hurry to do it again though.

I thought about that place a lot during COVID. All those people who, like me, were fine in a shoebox if they could go out a lot, suddenly couldn’t. :flushed: I was lucky to be living in a much larger place during all the lockdowns and closures.

5 Likes

I mean, yeah. So much of it depends upon temperament. I’ve lived in “only bedroom” sized apartments sometimes, and it doesn’t really bother me as long as I don’t have to share a bathroom with more than one other person. I love staying home most of the time.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.