TOM THE DANCING BUG: Hard Times in VHS Country

Post your results here, please.

4 Likes

I think this comic is less along the lines of “it’s cheaper to manufacture stuff overseas now” than “nobody wants coal energy anymore, no amount of wishful thinking is going to bring it back so better find some way to move on.”

12 Likes

VHS isn’t dead. It’s a collectible! You know collectibles, right? They are comic books in a plastic bag that are never read. They are toys that are never removed from their packaging and/or played with. And now they’re a movie you can appreciate by not watching it! Collectible!

4 Likes

Yes. Even though the ship has probably sailed on most US manufacturing and it is obvious that Trump is merely giving false hope to people in these dying jobs, it is really uncomfortable for non-Republicans to mock these people (as opposed to merely the hypocrisy of Trump’s populism). It used to be that Democrats were concerned about keeping US jobs and it was the Republicans who blithely said that free trade and the free market will solve everything and everybody would magically get better jobs after all the working class jobs left.

5 Likes

Two upvotes, but there’s no way to know if it’s MAGA types or people there to try to inject some sanity.

http://disq.us/p/1qpe31i

2 Likes

Comic is all wrong.

When Republicans pick winners and losers based on campaign contributions, it’s Freedom.

When Democrats pick winners and losers, it’s Hitler getting it on with Stalin in the middle of Arlington Cemetery.

3 Likes

I agree. I don’t love the tone of the comic.

Those coal jobs are never coming back. But that doesn’t answer anyone’s concerns. The government should be working for the people, not telling them they are irrelevant.

The US is in a situation where somehow:

more than enough food/shelter/ipods for everyone + work that needs to be done + people who want to work = human misery

Bringing back coal jobs is not a solution to that problem but it’s also not really the job of former coal miners to try to solve this problem by themselves. Legislators need to look past the wishlists of desperate people and make changes that address the underlying issue. And if they can’t because it’s too damn hard then they need to retire and make room for new people who will try.

10 Likes

That’s because the only metric for distributing those goods are economic. We all too often equate human value with economic value.

I think it’s pretty easy for people who aren’t in a particular profession/job to dismiss their concerns about work, especially when it’s in such a controversial field as coal (because of the human and environmental costs associated with it). But I agree with you blaming the people who are in that region, and have few other options for supporting themselves and their families, is a way to address the problem at all. I suspect that social welfare needs to fill in the gap until the shifts in the economy wind their way into a new formation.

What that looks like, I don’t know, but it feels like we have an opportunity as a society to address those issues and to shape the economy to come. But the neo-liberals out in silicon valley and DC seem to be winning that war… The culture wars (which we’ve seen here in this thread, I think) are a major reason why many white working class labor refuse to align with progressives/the left.

7 Likes

I lost my family fortune trying to promote a DVD Rewinder. Thanks, Obama!

8 Likes

You mean like offer some type of retraining, so they can do a job besides coal mining?

And what if they don’t want to do anything else?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-trump-effect-coal-retraining-insight/awaiting-trumps-coal-comeback-miners-reject-retraining-idUSKBN1D14G0

7 Likes

I’ve often wondered why these folks don’t up and do like everyone else does, and just move to where the jobs are?

Pride.

We might do well to have a migrant worker program to send laborers to places with lots of construction. Dubai, Kuala Lumpur, etc.

It’s how a lot of people in Asia send home remittances to feed their families, and while we’re at it maybe we can bring the power of the US Government in to reform their coerced labor practices, eh?

And hey, maybe some of those folks will come home with a better appreciation of brown folks.

2 Likes

Arguably it is the job of former [insert obsolete industry of choice] workers to do their bit to get legislators elected who will do just that.

4 Likes

Be kind, rewind.

2 Likes

If you are designing public policy you don’t get to blame the people for not cooperating with your plan to help them. I mean, you’ll never get everyone, but if retraining programs are being offered and people aren’t taking advantage of them, or if those who are aren’t getting jobs, then that’s an ineffective program.

Even if that is true there needs to be a better answer than just blaming people for their pride. The nation made these people, the nation is made of these people.

I wonder about a national migrant worker program. Maybe that would be a great idea if it wasn’t just a ruse to give 90% of the program funding to a few billionaires.

I think it definitely is, and I hope that at some point there’s a revolution on that front.

4 Likes

The problem with retraining is that a lot of people in those jobs aren’t that great at book learning. As I’m originally from Wisconsin I found the recent book “Janesville: An American Story” fascinating but depressing. Basically the retraining attempts after the closure of the GM plant were a massive failure and people who were lower middle class factory workers were reduced to poverty-level jobs at Walmart and similar.

Do we know the reasons why that is the case? The solution doesn’t have to be some sort of college level education, just some form of retraining that helps them develop new skills. Again, this might be lack of job opportunities more than failure of individuals to be able to understand new kinds of work.

3 Likes

Worker mobility is complicated. On the one hand, too much mobility leads to rootlessness and broken communities. On the other, not enough mobility leads to poverty and being left behind. It could be that in coal country, there is a tradition of living off the land, and being attached to the land. Yes, coal companies destroyed the land so that no living can be made off it anymore, but the people who live there still cling to their holler.

4 Likes

Most of the retraining wasn’t 4-year college, but 2-year associate degrees (paramedics, chefs, etc.). It is far too easy for people with university degrees (and beyond) to underestimate the difficulty of such courses for people with only a high school education and maybe not a great one at that.

3 Likes

Of course you’re right. And as with any “right”, their use has consequences. You speak (freely) and others may not like you any more. You assemble, and the population may feel threatened. You own guns, they may get used to slaughter innocents.
The point of rights is not that their use doesn’t entail consequences. And you have the right to reproduce, but it may make you poor and sleep-deprived. And if you complain about being broke and tired, it would be perfectly reasonable to be told, maybe don’t have any more kids.

1 Like

3 now. One is clearly a trolley, “TrumpLovesPelosi”, and the other two I am pretty sure didn’t click on it, because they seem to be hardcore trumpists (one’s logo is Trump/Pence 2020).

2 Likes