Tony Hawk's first skateboard is now in the Smithsonian

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/28/tony-hawks-first-skateboard.html

7 Likes

One last grind, for old times sake, then off to the Smithsonian where they’ll handle it with cotton gloves and humidity control.

13 Likes

Awww, this is great

5 Likes

what a freakin legend he is. and from what i’ve seen, an exemplary human, too.

3 Likes

Here’s a vid of him running an ongoing bit where they yell at people from a car to do a trick, then hand out swag.

Seems like a genuinely cool guy.

6 Likes

That’s some awesome plus curating there Smithsonian.

4 Likes

Rad. I had an orange Bahne very much like that one, with Road Rider 6s and Tracker Trucks.

2 Likes

They should have a 2x4 with a dismantled steel skate nailed on in with it for contrast.

4 Likes
5 Likes

I’m astonished that he’s still got it. Kids tend to be unsentimental about their toys and trash them. What a cool totem this is.

2 Likes

Lots of legendary athletes keep their grade-school gear. Tony Hawk is certainly a legendary athlete so I’m not surprised he had a connection to his first board. Heck, even aggressively mediocre skaters such as I remember our first board fondly, and I did keep the one I built in college until I gifted it to my younger cousin when he went off to college a couple years ago (after I replaced the trucks and bearings for safety).

3 Likes

And why shouldn’t Mr Tony Hawks skateboard be showcased at the Smithsonian, he happens to be one of the great many that currently skateboard from days of old to days of the now. A tribute please, to the one, the only, Mr. Hawk himself.

3 Likes

M’kay, not sure why you’re asking me. :man_shrugging:

I’m personally thrilled Tony Hawk has a place in the Smithsonian. That would be a truly singularly amazing point in life and he seems well deserving of it.

Welcome to the community. I’m going to guess you clicked the wrong reply button accidentally.

But yeah, this is great, and I think you might find a good community here if you stick around. No worries. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hang 18

5 Likes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.