Tools to replace swear words with grawlixes: symbols suggesting anger and obscenity

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/17/tools-to-replace-swear-words-w.html

4 Likes

Asterix taught me to swear.

by-toutatis2

23 Likes

A grawlix sounds like something you’d run into around levels 5-8.

16 Likes

“Deep within the catacombs you hear a sound. It is a rising murmur. A string of increasingly more obscene expletives. It draws closer, and you know in your soul, that, when it reaches its crescendo, it will terminate in the ultimate epithet that will sunder reality and drag you screaming to Heck!”

“Holy forking shirt balls, its a Grawlix!”

12 Likes

I was surprised that the word “dingbat” did not appear. Dingbat is a very old word used in typography for non-alphanumeric characters in the ASCII character set. It was also used to mean something similar to grawlix. That’s why Archie Bunker called Edith a dingbat. Grawlix seems to have a slightly different shade meaning, since it seems to include symbols not contained in the ASCII set.

8 Likes

Using obscenity seems to increase pain tolerance, would this censorship increase pain in people who need to curse? (Likely not, but interesting to think it may have this function), In the study, people who said “fudge” instead of others, didn’t have the same pain tolerance benefit.

5 Likes

I have to say I don’t agree that grawlixes originate in american comic. There seems to be quite a paralel development along the lines of that.

Changing topic, spanish comic author Francisco Ibañez was specially prolific with them, sometimes the grawlixes being as explicit as the swear words, but evading the censorship thanks to their caricaturesque style.

8965c36018a7e8ba4a64736690bc2016

6 Likes

That’s fucking cool.

Oh wait, it’s not working. :thinking:

2 Likes

One more… as it will probably be quite apparent who they are to american readers :laughing:
mortadelo-filemon-trump-1518610388

5 Likes

But how much damage would you suffer if you came into contact with it?
I reckon my old 8th level Halfling Thief could take it, devious back-stabbing little bastard that he was. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I had an aunt from Quimps.

2 Likes

There was a great BBC show in which Stephen Fry and Brian Blessed tested swearing like this. Fry doesn’t tend to swear and so swearing was effective in suppressing his pain. Blessed swears an awful lot in daily life, and so got no respite.

It is around 16-17 minutes in.

1 Like

hGU3AV8

3 Likes

It’s right in the name, innit?

Captain Archibald Haddock for me, though.
bbbb

6 Likes

Wikipedia link?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.