Top 15 bedbug-infested cities in the U.S

Suitcases are notoriously difficult to tumble dry.

3 Likes

Which is why I only use soft sided luggage, like garment or duffle bags

2 Likes

Frank Herbert was fifty years ahead of you.

Do you mean Philadelphia, Mississippi, rather than Philadelphia, Michigan (as the latter doesn’t exist)?

It’s not guaranteed to kill them. Their metabolisms are so slow that they’re really hard to drown, and they shrug off all kinds of poisons; soap doesn’t bother them at all. Heat is generally the most reliable means of home treatment; IIRC, 120F for one hour will kill all development stages, including eggs. A long, hot tumble through the dryer will usually do it for clothes, though it’s obviously not convenient for suitcases.

If you’re concerned about it, a PackTite hot box can treat anything you can fit in it, including large suitcases, for “only” $300. (And boy will you be annoyed when you see the shoddy build quality they’re charging you for, but the important thing is that it’s been tested by an independent expert and really does get hot air into every crevice; there’s no cold spots in the corners for the bugs to shelter.)

I could go on for hours, but I shouldn’t. http://bedbugger.com/ is a good resource if you want to know more.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.