Top financier: Elon Musk will have to liquidate Tesla stock to keep "X" in business

4 Likes

… WIRED trying to catch up

6 Likes

she strongly promotes “starship” and is as full of shit as musk is;

and she doubled down on this bs…

5 Likes

Point-to-point rocket transports: for when a private jet just isn’t wasteful enough.

8 Likes

Better late than never I guess. I generally like WIRED but its editorial staff have propped up Musk for over a decade now as some sort of genius polymath when he is neither.

10 Likes

… I didn’t even know which Musk topic I was in

8 Likes

To be fair, they all kind of run together.

6 Likes

Slow Motion Smoking GIF

3 Likes

Tesla cannot ever raise the idea that Elon is the problem since it’s board is staffed by family and friends only. They’ll never kick him to the curb because he can always pay them more for their loyalty.

4 Likes

The board had to sell or they’d been sued by stock holders for lost money. They were also happy to make absurd profits but legally if they didn’t sell they’d have been sued out of business.

3 Likes

I came across this perfect piece of far future science fiction on space.com the other day - check the video near the end of the article:

It’s all so wonderfully easy! Just send up a bunch of bulldozer sized drones, that work perfectly in autonomous mode, never break down and need maintenance, and wait for your Instant LunaPad™ to take shape!

(also, +1 for Pressure-Fed Astronaut - always on point)

5 Likes

walt-disney-if-you-can-dream-it

Just not that fast and that easy…

Maybe land a couple of Cybertrucks first, that ought to work just fine.

5 Likes

the board is public information, so no need to speculate…

5 Likes

Yeah, Musk’s brother is on the board. No other family is. The others all have business bona fides that make sense for them to serve on a corporate board of directors. I don’t see any that have obvious personal connections to Musk other than that they’re other tech bros, in a couple of cases. Apparently Musk and James Murdoch have been friends a long time, and Murdoch is on the board, but Murdoch is not reliant on Musk for his fortune. His dad is apparently involved in the media business in some fashion? JB Straubel apparently used to be close to Musk, but he’s publicly said that Musk is really difficult to work for, so that doesn’t sound like a ride or die friend.

6 Likes

Halloween Tube GIF by Storyful

5 Likes

No, it was bouncing around between being modestly profitable, more or less break even, and modest losses.

It hasn’t dramatically reduced costs, but it has lost about 85% of it’s revenue with no sign of getting any back.

Is that based on anything in particular? I have the feeling that battery technology advancements has been slowing. That’s just a feeling though, and I like your future better, so if it is based on something I would love to share a more optimistic view.

3 Likes

And on top of that, Musk has saddled the company with something like half the debt of buying it, adding about a billion per year in additional outgoings.

4 Likes

At least there’s a lot of research into alternative battery chemistries, like LiFePO4 (lithiumferrophosphate) that doesn’t require cobalt and should be safe, cheap and long-lived.

4 Likes

I had a nightmare this night that made me wake up with a cold sweat. My mum inherited some stocks from my very frugal and hardworking grandfather (who had a personal record of working seven years in stretch without a day off) . I sometimes help her with it, usually technical stuff. The portfolio consists of solid, boring and well managed swedish industrial and investment companies.

I dreamt that I had made her put a third of her money in tesla stock. Honestly it is one of the most anxiety dreams i’ve ever had.

7 Likes

Well, if it’s optimism you’re after, practical and affordable commercial nuclear fusion power is only 15-20 years off so we won’t need batteries. Or roads!

6 Likes