Top NYT headlines from 50 years ago today

Originally published at: Top NYT headlines from 50 years ago today | Boing Boing

7 Likes

John Oliver Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Whenever I look at old magazines or newspapers, one of the neatest things is actually looking at the advertisements, which can be pretty informative about a time and place…

7 Likes

JqE0

6 Likes

2021-1961= 60 not 50. Other than that, great article…

12 Likes

I was gonna say…

I would have known if Babes in Toyland had premiered when I was 5 years old.

6 Likes

For a moment I thought I was much younger than I thought, but then I realized it was a math thing and now I feel old again.

5 Likes

1961 sets record in cigarette use — Americans smoked more than ever, and the US manufactured cigarettes to keep up. Including exports, the US produced 528 billion cigarettes!

Yep, got Dear Ole Dad [lifelong smoker] that year I was born, fighting off T.B. and smoking is bad for your health folks.

Follow me for more health tips.

3 Likes

In the 1960ies, smoking was good for you!
Heck, back then asbestos and radiation were good for you!

1 Like

And don’t forget those pesky seatbelts weren’t a thing yet.

3 Likes

To be fair, doing date-based math like that is a lot easier when one’s age is greater than the interval in question.
Rooster Teeth Reaction GIF by Achievement Hunter

2 Likes

If you wore a Maidenform bra, you wouldn’t need a seatbelt! Or a kevlar vest!

3 Likes

To also be fair, I had just seen a Facebook post saying “When I think about something that happened 30 years ago I think 1970 not 1990.”

5 Likes

I know I’m not the only one that hears “1990” and thinks it was just 20 years ago. Somehow I keep missing an entire decade there!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.