The allure of 60s cigarette commercials

Originally published at: The allure of 60s cigarette commercials | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Seems like the butt of the cigarette is going to act as a filter for the entire smoking experience, no? Maybe not as well as the cigarette gets shorter, but still.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Yeah, all the tar that collects there tends to make the filter better until you get close.

2 Likes

Do I miss smoking? Occasionally. Do I wish commercials with catchy jingles would make a comeback? Definitely.

6 Likes

Looks like selling Death in a stick form that you put in your mouth and light in fire is hard work.

8 Likes

Was that first commercial, for Newports, shot in the Dick Van Dyke show house?

4 Likes

Ah, the nostalgia makes me long for those glamorous 60’s commercials for chewing tobacco too. A couple rocks side-by-side on a porch overlooking a peaceful cement pond: “That’s right granny, you don’t even need teeth to enjoy Mail Pouch. Now in Wintergreen to keep a fresher spittoon. Pwew-tang!”

download

6 Likes

Forty years from now, what will the ‘cigarette commercials of the 60’s’ be? What will shock or disturb us then that doesn’t shock or disturb now?

4 Likes

Hopefully prescription adverts. Those are the devil.

13 Likes

But the side-effects list at the end are awesome, the ones that may cause this, or may cause that, the ultimate crap shoot.

5 Likes

I have to admit that the ad for the medicine that could possible cause perineum infections cracks me up every time. I call it the taint gangrene drug.

3 Likes

You might appreciate my sole contribution to Internet culture, circa 2005 or so.

(Helpfully preserved on YouTube by a stranger, which I didn’t know until just now when I went to find it.)

11 Likes

There’s a song about that on the latest Beatles album.

4 Likes

Got my belly-dancer outfit out , and I’m doing it, really doing it.

1 Like

Me, too!

2 Likes

Like Happy Fun Ball…

6 Likes

T01PWawQVPEnhcJgvHEXV5t96Fo=

3 Likes

Don’t forget this one!

4 Likes

RIGHT NOW!?

Probably, right? :grin:

5 Likes