The allure of 60s cigarette commercials

A few years back we weekend binged on the original Twilight Zone episodes. Damn it if later in the series, Rod didn’t begin personally hawking Chesterfield cigarettes on the series commercials. Kind of shocking to see.

4 Likes

What gets me was how common it was by then. I enjoy classic films and music, and smoking was everywhere. The glamour angle was huge:

Prescription meds don’t wind up being featured in most films and TV shows, although there are lots of jokes about little blue pills. It’s no wonder the other jokes are about quitting. Maybe they’ll come up with a more effective solution, and what will shock people in the future is how difficult quitting used to be in the past.

3 Likes

Woah, no wonder everyone smoked. They sold the lifestyle hard. And I’m grooving on the Newport vibe. I aspire to that fresh, spin-drift blown, sunlight sparkly, walking on the beach, hey we’re on a sailboat kinda lifestyle. Without the cancer, maybe.

I remember when there was a Beetleboard for Kool cigarettes in Wichita, Kansas during the mid-70s. Not the same one pictured here. Our local one had the Kool logo in front of a landscape in the cool green, blue, and white of a waterfall surrounded by a lush forest. It was very striking, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was successful at creating a craving amongst drivers in traffic.

3 Likes

2 Likes

I’m going to guess alcohol. One of the few known carcinogens that, in most countries, does not require a health warning to that effect of the package.

Yeah, well - you have to keep in mind that back then, smoking was good for you! Just like DDT. Or asbestos. Why, even the worst nuclear fallout was down to a safe level after two weeks, tops!

4 Likes

Well I you like filter cigarettes and you like asbestos then you’ll love the way they come together in the “Famous Kent Micronite Filter”. Micronite being Kent’s branding of abestos in the late 50’s
As Sinatra sang in the song Tender Trap “heaven rest us… I’m not asbestos”:

3 Likes

I’m always fascinated by the differences between life in America and life here in the UK. Clearly, smoking in America caused you to spend many hours on the beach with a beautiful (hetero) partner while over here in rain soaked Britain smoking meant you had no friends and suffered from insomnia…

3 Likes

…and only three and tuppence for twenty!!!

I couldn’t wait/watch long enough for “Winston tastes good like a cigarette should “. Did I miss it? That’s the brand my mom used to send me to the corner store to buy in 1963.

1 Like

Ohh, I didn’t know that one!
One for my archives, thanks!

1 Like

2 Likes

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid__Rigby__cigarette trick

5 Likes

chain-smoking

4 Likes

2 Likes

Even as a smoker well aware of the tactics used by tobacco companies, I was genuinely shocked to find (print) ads from probably the 1940s to the 1960s praising the ‘benefits’ of smoking to pregnant women. Discovered during a discussion with my godson (aged 11, nearly 12) about addiction, smoking, tactics such as having doctors tout for the companies, and promising him that I’ll quit this year.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.