I remember lots of singing about how we didn't need dope in the 80s and 90s; they were wrong

Originally published at: I remember lots of singing about how we didn't need dope in the 80s and 90s; they were wrong | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Wasn’t there also an ad about how the singers would like to buy the world some coke?

19 Likes

Lots of people think drugs will help them sing in perfect harmony.

16 Likes

As for the ad campaign, I was remembering? It existed, and it involved a puppet.

It might be the Mandela Effect, but I vaguely remember that as well. Maybe it was a local SoCal thing or maybe it wasn’t a PSA but a segment of a kid’s show with puppets.

5 Likes

Even worse, I found it and THOUGHT I linked it but didn’t. I added it to the OG post but here: L.A. Vintage Commercials: Say Nope to Dope and Ugh to Drugs

Wake and bake.

6 Likes

“Say nope to dope and think before you drink”? I’d say it’s that kind of clear message: “no, get intoxicated this way, not that way” and obvious double standard that fueled the legalization movement. The insults to intelligence did their bit, too.

Gods, there must have been so many variations on this theme. With and without puppets. Seems like a lot were short-lived - I imagine videos were created to be seen in particular contexts/aired on tv, but then someone realized they were stupid… and then quickly replaced them with something almost identical.

4 Likes

Wait, now I’m wondering if “Ugh” rhymed with “Drug” in the 80s. Does it still? for me, it’s currently more like “uh” but sharper and with more glottal fricative…

3 Likes

What What!

4 Likes

You could also go hippie crack, which is a few cups of coffe with your bowl(s)

uncle leo drawn on eyebrows GIF by HULU

2 Likes

I thought that was a Seattle Speedball and that Nitrous Oxide is Hippie Crack.

2 Likes

I went through the 80’s and 90’s high as fuck. Did some of my best work.

4 Likes

Remember, kids: Only Users Lose Drugs. fly2 smiley-channelde_rauchen001

5 Likes

Well, I doubt either were decided by comittee :smiley:

2 Likes

Are you trying to tell me there isn’t a drug lingo equivalent to the Académie Français?

1 Like

Possibly, I’ve yet to hear of the Académie Frit…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.