Toronto councillor praises gerrymandering plan to silence "left-leaning" voices in the city

And this is the same Mammoliti who crawled around on the floor in Council Chambers, pretending to be a raccoon breaking into the new green bins.

4 Likes

I know, I know, I KNOW!

1 Like

it’s a blanket reduction, not gerrymandering. gerrymandering favors one side. this doesn’t. there will be less left-leaning politicians, but that won’t change the balance. poor research and writing.

You should forgive me for being suspicious that this “blanket reduction” won’t result in a change in the balance of power. It could be something to the effect of giving more weight to poorly populated areas because they hit some minimum faster.

This has become an increasingly strong effect in US politics for example, where the voting power per person in cities has been slowly eroding due to the way the votes are counted.

3 Likes

It isn’t gerrymandering on the ludicrous American scale, but it does favour the suburbs. That’s why, pre-Doug, they were going tweak the council numbers slightly to increase central city representation.

It’s also going to favour candidates with organizational and financial backing. Until recently, political parties haven’t been a thing (officially) in Toronto politics.

4 Likes

Another case of someone who doesn’t understand the word “tyrant.”

In a democracy the majority get to vote on what they want, so the most people are served-- the people get what the most people vote for.

To rig elections by rigging the demographic map to favor one party is anti-democratic, it’s the very thing a “tyrant” would do (before finally just counting the votes himself.)

4 Likes

I’ll… um… cut across the axis and try and draw their fire. I’ll catch up with you after your, ugh, “trench run”.

1 Like

It is incredibly dumb, even for a right-wing politician.

It’s also grammatically incorrect - there will be fewer left-leaning politicians, not ‘less’.

1 Like

Gerrymandering is admitting that you don’t trust the people and don’t like democracy.

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.