Totally cool CEO says governments need to punish workers with unemployment to make them less arrogant

Fortunately for Harvard (and its employees) post-Summers cleanup meant diversifying away from some riskier investments, and instituting a much larger emergency cash reserve (endowments aren’t like big cash accounts that can be spent freely). The pandemic downturn was much less disruptive.

12 Likes

I am shocked that someone in real estate should turn out to be a sociopathic asshole. What are the odds?

I don’t want to stereotype real estate folks – some, I’m sure, are just lovely. But it does seem to be that in real estate the close correlation between being a CEO and being an utter sociopath is really expressed to the full. Speculation as to why this should be is left as an exercise for the reader.

14 Likes

So what Machiavelli meant was,

Katie Cassidy Advice GIF

10 Likes

If unemployment was actually that high, it would mean a complete collapse of the economy and the nation. The great depression at its height only had 25% unemployment. (ETA - I guess he meant increase by 40-50%, not increase too. Still…)

The number of desperate people willing to rob a mansion on a hill of a real estate tycoon would be much, much higher than today. :confused:

Fucking sociopath.

17 Likes

Seriously, this entitled edge-lord tosser needs to learn some basic history, unemployment numbers like that usually end with the political and economics establishment, and unfortunately their families, being shot and tossed into abandoned mine shafts.

13 Likes

i would think he meant increase by 50% not to 50%. he surely knows who pays his bills. ( but yeah, still a sociopath )

Unemployment has to jump 40, 50 per cent in my view.

14 Likes

Yet another statement that screams: “I have zero fear that I will see direct, personal consequences for any of this.”

18 Likes

Yeah, fuck that guy too.

8 Likes

I don’t know. What I heard was “I volunteer as tribute.”

How much of his job could be done by a combination of ChatGPT, a collection of Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, and a group of employees making a fraction of what he does in total? I bet he’d be uncomfortable with how high the answer to that question is.

15 Likes

I think you’re right. Still, fuck that guy.

5 Likes

Well, yeah. Third word in the title was the clue. Anything after was just confirmation.

10 Likes

Although you know what would be funny? If all his workers quit and people refused to work for him.

Usually the worst thing I can think of to do to people like this is to send them to the future they want to create. (And then hopefully the rest of us can avoid creating that future at all.)

13 Likes
7 Likes

Right, but the 98% give the other 2% a bad name.

11 Likes

I mean, there is a… there’s been a systematic change where employees feel the employer is extremely lucky to have them, as opposed to the other way around. So it’s a dynamic that has to change. We’ve got to kill that attitude

I can think of something much more deserving of being killed.

9 Likes

Precompiled list of people who need to go up against the wall first?

3 Likes

They can each carry a brick and build it themselves.

5 Likes

Are you by chance publishing a newsletter?

I’d like to subscribe.

2 Likes

I suspect similarly entitled Parisians had exactly the same attitude in 1788.

“Society owes each man a living, but it doesn’t owe anyone a fortune.” Maximilien Robespierre.

9 Likes

190ywr-1670646364

14 Likes