Toto's "Africa" playing in an abandoned mall

Kind of how I imagined “Gamma World” to be. Except, a laser-eyed security robot should cruise through every 45 minutes, you can hear it coming by the soft whirr of some important gears grinding, and its semi-sentient software has driven it into a terrifying kind of psychotic loneliness and paranoia. It fears visitors, while desperately longing for someone to talk to.

Also, the potted plants are mutants who will eat you.

3 Likes
9 Likes

That mall is not abandoned, but merely closed for the night.

I submit this for your internet pedantry consideration of the day.

3 Likes

Music played in an empty shopping mall seems to be a sub-genre on YouTube.

2 Likes

The next time I find the PA system of a place I am inspecting, I will make this happen.

2 Likes

My favorite from that is the assistant modeling the “headdress” made out of toilet seat and sanitation band!

6 Likes

Here’s the antidote:

4 Likes

First Toto, then Men At Work?

This is making a dark empty place in my pre-teen early 80’s soul.

(GO OLD TOWNE MALL with awesome book store, churro stand with weird animatronics, rides, and the Time-Out arcade!)

Why are you folks trying to hurt us so?

1 Like

Am… Am I dead?

2 Likes

No joke, this song is so sticky it actually got into my head BEFORE I saw this post on Boing Boing.

About an hour before the song Africa appeared in my mind and I was singing it out loud as I set out on a dog walk.

Came home, and saw this post.

Weird.

3 Likes

Someone even has a Patreon for taking requests. I don’t know. The acoustics seem … off … for a large space like that. The right filter in Audacity and stock pictures of empty malls, and you’re ready to go.

4 Likes

Heavens, I was very young when I last went in there (>40 years ago). I don’t even remember any actual stores there (although I’m sure they existed), just bumper cars and sword-swallowers.

Am I imagining (or remembering a different place), or was there a building or structure that looked like a rocket ship in the parking lot? Also remembering (again, maybe somewhere else in Torrance) a liquor store shaped like a boot, complete with a rotating spur.

1 Like

and you are in hell.

Someone has rewatched the original Dawn of the Dead recently!

3 Likes

Hmmmmmm… /me opens audacity

4 Likes

That’s how I always felt when I got too near an Abercrombie and Fitch.

1 Like

As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti

1 Like

Are you thinking the discovery center down in the OC? They’ve got a rocket (and a shuttle replica).

As for the liquor store with a boot, not that I remember, but I didn’t frequent but one liquor store (and that was for the candy and video games)… Prince market liquor… Good times.

Toto’s Africa? More like Toto’s Shithole! - Donald Trump

Seriously though, that’s a cool-looking toilet. It looks like the head of an angry mech, like it just needs ears and it could be in Patlabor or something.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same - this is a construct.