Toto's "Africa" playing in an abandoned mall

To be fair, I haven’t put on headphones and listened to it carefully, but it seems to be a general environment ambiance applied rather than recorded in a real place. I’d expect more complex long-delay echoes from an empty mall.

Okay, headphones on.
Billy Joel (Cecil Robert) sounds constructed.
Men At Work (Zak), don’t know.
Toto (Cecil Robert), don’t know.

I apologize if none of them are constructs. This is just my impression from my Mark 1 ears. It’s also possible that the recording mic (mono?) isn’t picking up the subtleties.

ETA: Off to make a series of “Music playing in an Empty Death Star”.

4 Likes

Nah, the rocket was definitely somewhere in or very near Torrance. (I’ve tried finding it on the web, but all I can find is a (metal) playground rocket, e.g. with the ladders inside leading up to a tall slide.) This would’ve been “retro” style, like from a Flash Gordon movie. I’d thought it was in a parking lot in front of a mall. Now that I think about it, a 1930s-1950s-styled rocket would’ve been out-of-place in front of Old Towne Mall, but it might’ve otherwise fit in, in that area.

You found Rocketship park, overlooking South Torrance. It’s still there. I took my kid there who was way less enthused than I was when I used to go there. And the rocket strangely has seemed to have actually shrunk in size considerably :wink:

Wouldn’t surprise me if there was a place with a rocket though. There was that weird restaurant near the airport (LAX) that had all of the retired airplanes on the grounds.

1 Like

I like the idea of it being constructed, to solicit a response the way people have responded to this on YouTube. Not unlike the manufactured experience of malls in the first place in their heyday. It comes off like the movie Inception with layers within layers. Here it’s layers of artificial centered around the idea of the Mall. Performance art! …or also just a random thing.

I’d say purgatory.

1 Like

Didn’t GTA 3 cover this situation with lyrical irony?

Purgatory would be playing Christopher Cross…

1 Like

Nah, that would be hell.

Edit:

2 Likes

But this is my all time favourite Far Side cartoon about hell:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.