Toto's "Africa" playing in an abandoned mall

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/13/simulation-of-totos-africa.html

4 Likes

Looks and sounds like your typical dead mall video with 80’s pop or vaporwave playing in it

5 Likes

I’m not sure, but I feel like the video might be improved by having the camera slowly dolly through the mall as the song plays.

15 Likes

It needs to slowly be zooming in on a confused Pigeon that has been trapped in the mall for 4 minutes.

15 Likes

And now to find the Rainbow Records or Musicland in that mall so I can buy the Toto IV cassette.

9 Likes

And then there is this guy… who wins everything

(eta: the original video is apparently not available, it’s a LOT more awesome than this)

13 Likes

please, it’s not the “twilight of mankind” its merely the conclusion of european colonialism.

6 Likes

extraterrestrials will conclude this was a late 20th century place of worship. they wouldn’t actually be wrong.

9 Likes

plot twist: the pigeon, is you

6 Likes

Abandoned malls are the only place one should be subjected to this song.

3 Likes

Needs more lone zombie shambling aimlessly.

16 Likes

We need to leave a sign:

This place is a message… and part of a system of messages… pay attention to it!

Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.

What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location… it increases toward a center… the center of danger is here… of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

7 Likes

You are correct. It might also be improved by being an actual video instead of a still photo with a SFX’d soundtrack.

4 Likes

Are you familiar with “Motel of the Mysteries”? Future archaeologist unearths a motel in the buried land of “Usa” and determines that, among other things, the TV must have been a sacred idol since everything in the rooms was orientated towards it.

8 Likes

Aaaaand now that’ll be stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Thanks.

1 Like

I can see a werewolf battle suddenly crashing through one of the storefront windows halfway through this scene.

5 Likes

“…the essence of angloamerican culture at the twilight of mankind”

The ‘video’ is not shot in portrait mode. Please try again.

3 Likes

13 Likes

Counterpoint: Thanks to the emptiness the acoustics are FANTASTIC!

1 Like

This thing is screaming for some animation.