Tourists deported for crapping in Macchu Picchu and damaging the stonework

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/16/tourists-deported-for-crapping.html

4 Likes

when you gotta go, you gotta go.

3 Likes

deporting five tourists from Chile, Brazil, France and Argentina

Still, it’s nice when people from across the world can come together for a common cause.

7 Likes

And then you gotta go out of the country.

5 Likes

“An Argentinian man will remain in the country to face charges of ‘destroying Peru’s cultural heritage’ after he acknowledged a lead role in the vandalism.”

Why let the others skate?

4 Likes

What does a person have to eat to crap so hard, they break the stones?

4 Likes

(to self) "Please don’t let it be Americans, please don’t let it be Americans. . . "

Phewwwwww. . . .

16 Likes

8 Likes

When I visited about two years ago, the tour group leader seemed to suggest there was a Peruvian who had been caught defecating in the recent past – but the Google results are completely swamped by this story now and it is difficult to investigate historical precedents. Also frustratingly unavailable is the magnificently long list of things you’re not supposed to do there that’s posted at the entrance.

2 Likes

Apparently there is continual pressure in the government to close the site to the public due to all of the damage. Incidents like this are only going to add fuel to their fire.

2 Likes

They are clamping down hard for 2020 — time limits, mandatory guides, etc. It’s unfortunate, but I can see why this is necessary.

3 Likes

We sadly didn’t go to Macchu Picchu on the family trip to South America thirty years ago. Then again, the reason we skipped it was fears of terrorism by the Sendero Luminoso.

Acknowledging that you’re just mentioning some of the other things disallowed at the site. But also want to point out that nudity is in an entirely different category from vandalism.

1 Like

Cue episode of Supernatural or sequel to HellBoy. That stonework was holding back an Old One…

Christ, what an asshole.

2 Likes

And nice when my country (USA) isn’t on the list of international assholes (pun intended)

1 Like

I went about 30 years ago - 87 or so. Dude you so missed out. We were poor, we blew the budget to stay on site in the gov’t run hotel at Macchu Picchu. It was a whopping $150 or so, iirc. After the buses left, we had the place to ourselves.

That must have been a hell of a bowel movement.

1 Like

It’s hard to imagine the mindset of a person who would travel thousands of miles to visit a world heritage site just to do something like this. Don’t these people have priceless cultural treasures to desecrate in their own countries?

5 Likes

I confess to my knowledge of Macchu Picchu being more or less confined by what’s on Wikipedia, but nothing’s jumping out at me as to why multiple people would literally want to shit on it. Are people just really racist against the Incans? Didn’t the Spanish and small pox do much more damage to the empire than any symbolic shitting?