Tourists head to Death Valley in hopes of experiencing record temperature highs there

Sorry, Zaphod Beeblebrox already has that table.

5 Likes

2 Likes

God job, humanity. Instead of addressing a crisis and trying to fix it, we treat it as a chance to transform the event into a tourist opportunity while we soldier our way right on into oblivion. Don’t Look Up! got it 100% correct, a lot of us don’t want to do shit until it’s all over and too late, and there may be enough of them to impede the rest of us and drag us down with them.

9 Likes

your pool’s got nothing on florida i’m afraid

4 Likes

I have not given up. But there will come a day when we will cross a line and it will be too late to save us. Some researchers think we may have already crossed that line. I hope we haven’t, but we’re very close regardless. We should be treating this like the most dire threat facing humanity, because it is, but we aren’t. I mean, if climate change were an asteroid, it’s time to recruit a team of oil drillers to go blow it up. But it’s hard to convince people that that’s where we are, because it’s not that kind of an in your face immediate threat.

8 Likes

To say it another way, this is not an asteroid. We will survive this, it’s just a question of how good that life will be. That’s why not giving up is so important.

Part of the problem of fatalistic attitudes is people thinking we won’t survive it, so why bother. However we will, and in some ways that could be worse. I don’t ride motorcycles or climb mountains not because I fear death. I fear almost death. Death is easy. Almost dying but surviving is hard.

Every single thing we do now will make that future life better, right up to the very end. There’s no such thing as “too late” with climate change.

7 Likes

Those are big assumptions, and are not absolutely true. Especially the “too late” part. We absolutely could make the Earth inhospitable to human life. A lot of life would survive, but there is no guarantee that we will. And I think acknowledging that fact might help light a fire under some people.

1 Like

“There is no evidence of climate change scenarios that would render human beings extinct,” Michael Mann, a distinguished professor of atmospheric science at Penn State and author of “The New Climate War: The Fight to Take Back Our Planet” (PublicAffairs, 2021), told Live Science in an email.

Lying about the facts never helps. No reputable climate scientists believe we will all die. Absolutely humans will survive. Billions could die, but we will survive as a species. It’s on us to make that life worth living.

5 Likes

I could be wrong, but I do NOT appreciate being accused of lying, which would mean I knew what I was saying was wrong. I wasn’t lying. Tell me I’m wrong all you want. I’ve been wrong before, and I’ll be wrong again, but I do not lie.

5 Likes
3 Likes

:weary: the park rangers are probably having to run patrols down the access roads every 30 min or so. If someone’s car busts in that heat, they could die fairly quickly, especially if they were already overheating.
The park should just be closed to visitors at this temperature
“We apologize for the inconvenience but the park is closed today due to rampant global warming.”

6 Likes

Angry Work GIF

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.