Tourists head to Death Valley in hopes of experiencing record temperature highs there

Originally published at: Tourists head to Death Valley in hopes of experiencing record temperature highs there | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Pop Tv What GIF by Schitt's Creek

16 Likes

It’s right there in the name, folks!

28 Likes

challenging himself to a run in the sweltering heat.

That seems ill-advised, but these are effectively thrill-seeking disaster tourists so it’s to be expected.

21 Likes

I was just thinking yesterday about how it’s very possible, maybe even likely, that it’s already too late to reverse climate change enough to save humans. Kinda depressing, but true. And yet…the media is still acting like this is just a minor issue that we should probably try to devote a little more resources to, rather than the absolute extinction level event it likely is. So of course people are treating it like a tourism opportunity. Most people just do not understand how dire this is.

23 Likes

I guess we’ll get to see how sensible high temperature tourism is compared to high altitude tourism and high pressure tourism. :face_exhaling:

15 Likes

And high density tourism.

8 Likes

Isn’t a sauna cheaper and safer?

17 Likes

There’s an experience for every price point.

Those are the kind of people who’ll take a lick of one of the “giant blue space popsicles” that sometimes fall from the sky.

9 Likes

The populous must be entertained. If entertainment is not sufficient, they’ll find their own amusement.

5 Likes

I eagerly await the forthcoming fad: the Mummification Challenge!

6 Likes

Yeah, I saw the Death Valley Germans open for Butthole Surfers back in 88. You’ve probably never heard of them, of course.

14 Likes

row-1-column-1
row-2-column-1

6 Likes

Username checks out

14 Likes
6 Likes

But you can’t beat Death Valley for a Hot Stone Massage.

7 Likes

My family just got back from a road trip with stops in Utah and Nevada and I can report it is $(*#ing hot out there.

6 Likes

Well, yes. to quote Ocean’s Eleven: “Of course, lest we forget, once you’re out the front door, you’re still in the middle of the f***ing desert !”

Here in the east side of the metro phoenix arizona area, it’s expected to hit 114F today. My pool’s water temp is around 90 degrees…

6 Likes

No no no! Don’t allow yourself to think that way.

It’s too late to prevent all of it, sure. We’re currently on track for 1.5°C and will probably blow 2.0°C based on the total lack of urgency anyone is showing for this problem.

However everything we do helps. If we only prevent 25% of the harm that could have happened, that’s still probably millions of lives saved and an easier recovery for our great grandchildren.

It’s never too late to reduce the harm

15 Likes

“I want a front row seat to the end of the world.”

4 Likes