Toxic Masculinity: Dude, where are my emotions?

You should; it’s fantastic on so many levels.

13 Likes
13 Likes

Damn. That’s some seriously heavy shit. I need to think on that for a bit.

14 Likes
11 Likes

I love how Noah breaks it down into the dichotomy of sex vs intimacy. Reminds me a bit of a few years ago when I was having an issue with a guy in our friend circle, and someone pointed out that he, as a “standard” guy, or whatever, had two emotions, normal and angry.
Frustrating to have to deal with, but also made me feel kind of bad for the guy, that that’s all he had to work with.

12 Likes

This is an interesting report on crying:

7 Likes
21 Likes

It’s basically typing, discourse & relationships. It takes a lot of masculinity to compensate for that.

Prince Harry Mic Drop GIF

18 Likes

Sounds like the formerly respected position of secretary, back when men held those jobs.

17 Likes

23 Likes

Interesting article on how this gets to be.

I don’t have very many close friends myself; lost one a year and a half ago, fuck cancer. But I am eternally grateful for my best friend whom I met when I was 6 and he was 5 (7 months difference).

Talk about BFFs; 58 years and counting. :slight_smile:

Edit: 7 months, not 5. Counted backwards.

24 Likes

Fuck cancer, indeed. Sorry about your friend.
The article is sad, and interesting, but left something out. I’m curious when they mention, “our culture” if they mean western culture or global culture.
In my limited experience, men brought up in cultures with stricter gender roles and gender separation (which I find problematic for other reasons, but that’s a different thing) have an easier time bonding and being affectionate with their fellow men. The article made me wonder if this lack of male friendship could be honed in on a bit more.
Still wouldn’t “solve” it, but made me curious.

19 Likes

Thank you. He was a damned good drummer and we played in a few bands together; miss him a lot.

Yeah, I think probably “North American” or “Western” at it’s broadest.

Superficially, yeah, but it’s a weird dichotomy. It’s easier to show affection and to bond on common causes, but it’s still necessary to show no fear, weakness, or vulnerability. There is still much held back and disguised.

Agreed. In reference to the topic title “…Dude, where are my emotions?”; buried, for the most part I think.

15 Likes

The people working on this are emotional archeologists, is what you’re saying?
I like it.
“Dude, where are my emotions? The Six Feet Under edition.”

16 Likes

Nice. There’s an SF story in there. :slight_smile:

16 Likes
24 Likes

shocked philip j fry GIF

18 Likes

No surprise, but a nice generalization from the unfortunate stereotype that homophobia comes mainly from closeted men, which washes straight people’s hands of any guilt to put it on a minority instead.

17 Likes

I think there is a second video? He uses an intersectional approach to understanding this internet eco-system…

Part 2:

10 Likes

More from Signifier, on fatherhood this time…

7 Likes